Sign in to follow this  

50 tooth sprocket

I just put on a 50 tooth sprocket on to try out. (13/50) I'm racing Sunday and wont get a chance to practice on it before race day. Has anyone had a problem with it bogging or not pulling hard enough on starts? Or anything in general on the track that they had problem with?

wuts the track like? i run a 49 tooth and its perfect for wide open tracks like glen helen and cahuilla creek. and even with a 49 tooth i get good starts. with a 50 tooth i think ull be fine.

Flat but long straight aways a few tight turns. Fast track. Probably will be pretty loamy tomorrow. I was just kinda nervous about the starts because im 190 and i dont want it to bog on the start.

ha. i think ull be fine. like i said, i run a 49 tooth, its reallly nice for long tracks, wide open. im 150, and IF i sweep my gate, (some times im lazy, wut a squid) i do wheelies off the start and usually pull holeshot.

i run a 13/49 in the sand at coolum it roars in 2nd

I have stock still. People always say to go up a tooth or 2 to pull 3rd in tight turns but I was wondering what is a good tooth setting to where you can start using 2nd in more turns or is that a bad idea. Right now I only use 2nd in 1 or 2 turns per track and I can do 3rd in those if I wanted.

on a 51 tooth i was pulling 3rd in tight turns. theres no way u should go up teeth man. if u do, u will be shifting constantly.

I switched from stock to 13/49 because i was constantly shifting and getting pulled on long straights. I am still able most tight turns in third but there are some that i have to downshift to second. Also i have been able to clear more tight out of turn jumps because I can stay in second a littlt longer.

yep, thats exactly it was and is for me. i think 13/49 is the best set up so far. if ur racing desert i would go with a lower one, like 47 or something. but im reallllly happy with 13/49 at the moment.

So you guys that use the 13/49 for mx, will that work on short tracks with a lot of corners, and long tracks with lot's of jumps. I was gettin ready to order new chain and sprockets and it was gona be either 13/14 and 51. Price dont matter cause im sponsored by vortex and I get one hell of a deal through them. But the question is would I be set with the 13/49?

ya dude, im telling u. ull love that set up. once i switched down from a 51, to a 49, i was so happy. u dont have to shift as much. its still good torque, but with longer gears.

I actually just ordered a 52 tooth because I heard good things about it . I have a cam, pipe and jetting so my goal is to be able to run a gear higher around most of the track aka 4th.

If you are racing vet class...you will get burned on the starts with a 49 tooth....might even get burned in the 125 class....depends on how long the start is.

For tight supercrossy tracks, I think the 50 tooth is much better than the 49.

I've tested the 48, 49, 50 and obviously the stock 51. I think the 50 tooth is just about right. You can still get decent starts, has good bottom end, and decent over rev.

I was talking to a kid at the race with the same bike 05 crf250 and he was running a 13/53. He says it works awsome he got like 3 holeshots and won i think 2 out of 4 motos. (he crashes alot) The track does have some really tight stuff but has some long straightaways. He's only around 130lbs. if that.

It took me a little getting used too, but for the most part I like the 50 tooth. I'm a big dude, and I just rev high and feather the clutch in 3rd out of the corners and it pulls nicely. I usually run in 4th and 5th with the 51 tooth, but I've learned to ride more in 3rd and 4th with the 50T, as 5th is pretty much reduced to long straights. Much of my non-track riding is desert trails and long straights. 5th is almost like an extra gear when you need it, but it isn't for tight tracks if your over 180 lbs.

Would 13/50 be good for just all around tracks, im around 170-175 and about 6'1, my step dad says a 49 will take away from my bottom end, which I love dearly and want more of. But will a 50 take much away from bottom end?

If you are racing vet class...you will get burned on the starts with a 49 tooth....might even get burned in the 125 class....depends on how long the start is.

For tight supercrossy tracks, I think the 50 tooth is much better than the 49.

I've tested the 48, 49, 50 and obviously the stock 51. I think the 50 tooth is just about right. You can still get decent starts, has good bottom end, and decent over rev.

well i only ride beginner, (squid) i just started racing. my first race at starwest, i pulled holeshot both motos, was in first the whole time, then 3rd turn, last lap, i fell, (squid demon) and got 3rd. 2nd moto, i pulled holeshot, took outside on second turn, and the kid who was in 2nd in the 1st moto, behind me, took me out. he completely cut the turn, to hit me lol. PATHETIC. then i raced at cahuilla, got 5th off the start, mind u i didnt sweep my gate. 2nd moto, same thing, didnt sweep gate, got 5th off the start. then i raced at glen helen, didnt sweep my gate, got 2nd place off the gate, 1st in that moto. then i swept my gate the 2nd moto, pulled holeshot, and won that moto also. the 49tooth works perfect for me on starts. i even did a wheelie off the start at glen helen. so i dont kno, depends on how much u weigh? i weigh 150, and im 6 feet tall.

its beginner. u almost holeshot without sweeping your gate. nuff said. i dont know how fast u guys are running the 13/49 for motocross but i dont even think that many pros would like that set up. that would be like putting on an o=ring chain and 110 rear tire. i weigh 140lbs and if anything I would want another tooth. I use 5th at almost all the local tracks so I don't think they are very tight but I avoid 2nd gear at all costs and i would want at least 2 more for SX. stock sucks on our wannabe SX track....