Sign in to follow this  

How long did your stock battery last?

I am having trouble starting my bike. Its seems that with my Drz as with my Ltz that the trouble coinsided with the installation of aftermarket engine components.

I have a 2002 400s with the stock battery. Is it just an old battery or is my High comp, cams or something having a negative effect on the battery?

03 S just broke down and bought one what a rip off over $120.00 :thumbsup: from the local stealer of course :ride:

The DRZ should come stock with a kick start as a back up. The provisions are there, why not?

Doug

$ and weight

Then order one and install it, it's not that tough. I've done it

Mine lasted about a year. The aftermarket ones I've had since have lasted much longer

03 S just broke down and bought one what a rip off over $120.00 :thumbsup: from the local stealer of course :cry:

:ride: That is crazy!!

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?prodFamilyId=8926&navTitle=Electrical&webCatId=20&pageLinkUri=&vehicleType=&webTypeId=19&navType=type

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?prodFamilyId=9048&navTitle=Electrical&webCatId=20&pageLinkUri=&vehicleType=&webTypeId=19&navType=type

I've always had trouble with motorcycle and boat and lawn mower batteries. Anything that doesn't run every day. Especially if you leave them sitting through the winter.

I have been advised about the need for a battery tender, otherwise known as a low amperage charger with a maintenance or "float" mode.

You can buy one at wally world for less than $20. Keep you battery plugged in when not in use and the battery will provide it full service life.

What happens is called sulfation and it will start after a short time and get worse the longer the battery is unused and more it drains the charge.

A battery self discharges even if you are not using it. Let the battery drain completely a couple of times and you can ruin it in a hurry.

I believe there are members here that have gone 5-6 years on their original battery without problems. They used a Battery tender religiously.

Ridenowonline (formerly Arizona motorsports?) has it for $19.95

Battery Tender JR

TT store will be happy to price match.

:thumbsup:

My bike is a daily driver so I am not sure that I need a tender. Im gonna stop at the battery store down the road and see if I can get a battery thats fits in there.

My battery lasted 3 weeks. I whined to the dealer & they gave me a brand new one in the box. I added the acid myself, put it on the charger over night & it's been good ever since. It's been almost a year, I ride it to work everyday & haven't put a charger on it since the first time.

I've got 2 1/2 years on mine with no tender and I only ride on the weekends and haven't had one issue.

My room-mate has gone through 3 in that time using a tender religiously.(he was on his 3rd when he sold the bike a month ago)

I still haven't seen any evidence that there is a problem with the battery or charging system. And the only failures I've seen are from people who use a tender.

I've got 2 1/2 years on mine with no tender and I only ride on the weekends and haven't had one issue.

My room-mate has gone through 3 in that time using a tender religiously.(he was on his 3rd when he sold the bike a month ago)

I still haven't seen any evidence that there is a problem with the battery or charging system. And the only failures I've seen are from people who use a tender.

Some people smoke every day of their lives and die by something other then lung cancer... :thumbsup::ride::cry::ride:

Never the less,, The Yusa OEM battery works just fine, when used within it's design. If someone uses it beyond that design, it shows a history of failure. How the battery is brought into service has a lot to do with it's life span. The S bikes have it worse and are the ones that really need the tender for sure,, with the constant drain due to the speedo.

I bought my 04 in 05 as a leftover. My battery never was any good and I replaced it this spring. I figured they didn't keep it charged. I paid 90.00 for the Yuasa from the local battery guy. I am sure it was brought to life correctly and will last a lot longer with the recommended tender.

Mine is an 03 and is still on the stock battery, my tengai on the other hand likes to eat them up almost yearly :thumbsup: