Sign in to follow this  

Radiator Guards

I just received my rad. guards from www.Bulletproofdesigns.com. They are the nicest rad. guards I have ever seen. CNC milled from a solid block of billet aluminum, not stamped and bent like other guards. I'm going to install them tonight, i'll post the results.

I forgot to mention, very expensive, $189. for the set, but they are NICE!!

Looking at them from the side, they must start with one hell of a thick block of aluminum :thumbsup:

I was surprised when i received them. I read that they are milled from solid aluminum, but it was hard to believe 'till I got them. They really are well made. I'm working 12 hour overnight shifts this week, so I didn't get a chance to install them yet, but it looks like a simple install.

Zcop,

I installed my BPD rad guards in about 5 minutes start to finish, they fit perfectly as you may suspect from a cnc machined part. They are pricier but once you see them and then mount them you will be happy. My buddy and I attempted to mount a set of "other" guards to his '06 DDRZ yesterday. After about 45 minutes, he walked over and looked at mine and pulled his back off and will put them up for sale soon. BPD just sold another set. With BPD's your shrouds fit exactly where they did originally, no spacers that may or may not be the right length needed either. Admitidly, I have not crashed with my new guards to test them out so only time will tell on this point but these things really do feel bullet proof. If I can figure out how to post pictures I will as you may also like to see an alternate way to mount Eline fiber skid plate that makes on and off a breeze. Mark

Those are big bucks.

Do they have the braces at the back for support or don't they need them?

Show pics of your or your buddy's install.

I just installed my BPD rad. guards. Very quick, easy install. The guards are very sturdy and well made. They mount through the existing radiator mount bolts on the inside. And the outside mounts to the rad. itself with bolts provided by BPD. Their are no other side braces at all, and nothing mounts to the rear of the rads. In a crash, the only thing protecting the rads is the strength of the guards themselves. If the guards bend, so will the rads.

My opinion is the BPDs are excellent for street only bikes. I think the unabikers may be more protective for frequently dropped or crashed off road/trail bikes.

The BPDs are excellent quality, I would recommend them for all SMs. They look great!