Sign in to follow this  

ebuild question

Recently my piston exploded in my 2001 cr250 and a peice of the piston got wedged between the crank and the crank case. I have the whole motor out of the bike and the cylinder off of the motor. My question is do I need any special tools to split the case and change the crank? According to the book it says I need a few different tools to get this apart and change the parts.

you can spend the cash on a case splitter, or use a universal puller set from somewhere cheap. i used one from harbor freight before i bought the real deal...it worked just as good IMO, just not as strong...

Recently my piston exploded in my 2001 cr250 and a peice of the piston got wedged between the crank and the crank case. I have the whole motor out of the bike and the cylinder off of the motor. My question is do I need any special tools to split the case and change the crank? According to the book it says I need a few different tools to get this apart and change the parts.

It's been a few years since I've done that, so I'll try and guide you a little. I split a case on a YZ125 without any so called special tools. If you are mechanically inclined go for it. The hardest part is the flywheel, and if memory serves me most flywheel bolts are left handed threads. This is the one part that you may need a flywheel puller. They use silicone or an adhesive as a gasket between the cases and those babies are stuck together good! Be careful, your working with soft metal. When you split the case take care because there are several thrust washers too, and it is easy to loose track of where they came from. GET A SHOP MANUAL! It will show the details.

If your changing the crank, do the bearings also. When you get new bearings there is usually an interference fit, so you will have to heat the sides of the case (I did it in the wifes oven) so the new bearings will slide in. The heat is to expand the metal (bore for bearing).

Patients is the key! Good Luck!

:thumbsup:

I rebuilt a 95 and a 96 CR250 a couple of years ago. Your 01' has almost the same exact motor in it. The rebuid is really easy, but getting the flywheel off and the cases split is something that I would not recommend you do without the right tools. I say, strip the motor down, and take it a deaership; have them pull your flywheel and split your cases for you. My local dealership in Houston charged me $10 to do it. It'll take them about 5 minutes, if the motor is out of the bike and ready to be split, but if you try to do it at home and you screw it up, you're hosed. You can easily put your flywheel back on with an impact wrench (it is a left handed thread), and getting the cases back together is easy too if you take your time. But, like I said, my vote is that you go ahead and use the right tools. The cost of the tool is a lot cheaper then trying to buy a new case from honda.

go ahead and use the right tools. The cost of the tool is a lot cheaper then trying to buy a new case from honda.
I completely agree. At the minimum, you need a flywheel puller (you absolutely won't get the flywheel off without it) and a case splitter. You don't need a model-specific splitter. I use a universal 4-prong metric steering wheel puller. It works fine.

A crank insertion tool also is nice to have, as it allows you to pull the crank through the bearings, instead of tapping it in with a mallet and risk knocking the crank out of true. But you can do without it if you are careful.

The one tool you can not do this job without is a service manual. That is a must-have.

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I am just going to take this to a bike shop and have them split the cases and install the crank. I'd rather not mess it up and have to pay for a new case. Hopefully I'll have everything together and running soon.

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I am just going to take this to a bike shop and have them split the cases and install the crank. I'd rather not mess it up and have to pay for a new case. Hopefully I'll have everything together and running soon.

:thumbsup:

That's what most of us are about. We all started out learning, and try and help out. Nobody came out of the oven knowing it all!

If you had any doubts, than your taking the best approach.

:ride: