Sign in to follow this  

Rebuilt shock?

I had the forks and shock rebuilt & resprung by XRs Only last summer. I wanted the works done to the fork (new springs, & Race Tech gold valves), but with the shock I had only asked to have it resprung and the stock valving adjusted for my weight, they put gold valves in it (and charged me for it) anyway. Well, with less than 30 hours total on the shock, it is leaking oil. :thumbsup:

This work was done nearly a year ago, but I haven't done a tone of riding in that year. Now I need to do some work to the bike (chain & sprockets) and notice the oil running all over everything near the bottom of the shock; I'm pretty bummed.

...is this common for such low useage? Should I be calling them over this? I know with a street bike, I'd fully expect them to make it right, but I have no idea if it's normal to have to rebuild an off-road shock this often. :ride:

Thanks.

Make sure it's from the shock first and not coming from someplace else like blow-by out of the air box, spray from your chain... Then call them and tell them you're sending it to someone that knows what the hell they're doing, like FCR Suspension (www.fcrsuspension.com). I had them do my suspenders and I am most pleased.

I would really like to see XRsOnly turned around but they aren't going to do it if they don't start seeing the value of GOOD customer service

I would agree with confirming that it is from the shock. Clean the bike really well. Then look to see where the leaking is coming from. You may need to ride it some to get it to start leaking again.

Another possible source of oil is the air filter. I have had it drip down from over oiling the filter. Check the inside bottom of the airbox to see if it is covered with oil.

...is this common for such low useage? Should I be calling them over this? I know with a street bike, I'd fully expect them to make it right, but I have no idea if it's normal to have to rebuild an off-road shock this often. :ride:

Thanks.

No it is not common, yes I would call them and raise hell. If they give you any lip over this I would let them know that they have seen the last dollar they will ever see from me or anyone I come in contact with in the bike parts market. Then I would let them know that there are reputable shops out there that do and will provide me with the service I expect and they will be getting the dollars XR's Only refuses to earn. :thumbsup:

Is it common, no. Do most suspension places warranty seals for a year, not really. I would call them and try to get something, maybe free labor to fix it if nothing else.

Thanks guys. I've double checked, and it is coming from the shock. There is no oil coming from the airbox, and the motor is dry and dusty on the outside (any seepage would be obvious). The oil is coming from above the rubber stopper (donut) on the shock shaft ...aka, the shock body.

I have $0 to spend on the bike right now, but I'll call XR's only and see what they say. It's pretty disappointing, since I spent north of $700 getting my suspension done there. :ride:

...I'd probably have the cash for more work if I hadn't just gone out and bought a new toy to help me get back into shape!

felt%20f5c.jpg:cry:

Anyway, thanks again for the advice! :thumbsup: