Sign in to follow this  

switching brands

I am thinking of going from a 2003 yz450f to a 2006 kx 450f has anyone on this site done the yz to kx switch or even if you have ridden and compared the yzf to the kxf some input would be much appreciated :thumbsup:

I am thinking of going from a 2003 yz450f to a 2006 kx 450f has anyone on this site done the yz to kx switch or even if you have ridden and compared the yzf to the kxf some input would be much appreciated :thumbsup:

I have both a 06YZF 450 and a 06KX450. Any new 06 will feel like you leaped ahead a few light years compared to your 03. One thing to keep in mind however is that your Yamaha is as reliable as anything out there. That's the biggest reason I ride the YZ and my son rides the KX. He understands if it breaks it is his responsibility! If your leaning towards the KX I would wait and get the 07. They have responded to customer feedback and many updates have been performed including the 5 speed transmission! They all have their strengths and weaknesses and can all be adapted to your riding style and preference! Pick one and have fun!

Hey Crogg, nice to see you over here on TT... I would add on the 5 speed that it depends on what kind of riding you are going to be doing. For track riding the 4 speed works great. For trail/track/desert/dune, the 5 speed is more versitle. But, I guess that's been said 1000 times already.

I made the switch. Well, actually I went to a 2004 KX250f first, but I kept the YZ450f too. When I finally got my KX450f the difference was night and day. The KX is the best bike I have owned to date. It corners great, has great power, and feels lighter than any other bike out there to me, even if it isn't.

So far, the KX has been bullit proof too. I just replaced my clutch and that is the ONLY thing I have replaced to date. The valves are always in check, and no strange noises have appeared.

The biggest difference is the top heavy feel and major push in corners that I always fought on the YZ. I have ridden all the '06 450's and they are all phenomenal bikes, but the cornering of the KXF and RMZ set those two bikes apart IMO.

Good luck, you really can't go wrong with any color these days! :thumbsup:

Faster48

I am also think of buying a KX450F too. I currently have 05 YZ250F. I was just wondering how does the KXF suit taller riders since i'm 6'2" 175pounds? I was leaning towards a Honda, but i have heard that it feels to cramped so now it's between a YZ450F or the KX450F. Thanks, Erick

I'm only 5' 10".... ok.. ok... 5' 9 and 1/2" but my riding buddy is around 6' 2". He has an 05 CRF450 and we trade off from time to time just to see the difference in the bikes. I know his Honda sits a bit lower than my stock KX450F because I can touch both toes on his but only one on mine. As for feel when you are riding, we've both came to the conclusion that besides the 4 speed and the 5 speed, there is isn't much of a difference in the two that can't be tweaked with different settings, bars, clamps, etc. Go sit on all of them at the shop at least and you can kinda tell the stock differences.