Sign in to follow this  

steering stem

hey guys i have a 05 450, bikes been down for 2 weeks .i went out and turned the bars and the stem was real rough when turned, so of course i wanted to grease it.i took it apart and my first question is should the bearings have a little play in them up and down?and is the bottom bearing pressed on cant get it off.and how tight should the notched nut above the grease seal be?

clean them, like in gas or solvent, pack them well. The top astrisk nut is put on by feel. I don't do it really tight just snug. when you torque the top nut it gets a little tighter. Make sure there is no slop tho.

yeah, the outer race will move up and down to the inner race. Load them with grease and call it good

how tight should the notched nut above the grease seal be?

I read an article that said to tighten it up enough to get some resistance when turning bars back and forth (they gave a specific resistance measured at the end of the bar, but I don't recall what it was). This helps reduce head shake. I tried it and I love it, really helps. Just didn't feel right tightening that nut so tight against the bearings since I was used to just snugging it to get rid of any play. So, do yourself a favor and try tightening it enough to get some significant resistance to steering while the bike is on the stand.

Chris