Want To Turn 03 CR250R Into Woods Bike

I just bought a 03 CR250 R. Has maybe 15 hours on it. I also ride a KTM 450 SX that I have put on a 13 tooth front sprocket, 14oz heavier flywheel weight and a pro circuit spark arrestor silencer. I don't race and want to turn this CR 250 into a woods bike. Should I go down a tooth on the front sprocket and add a heavier flywheel weight? I already added a pro circuit spark arrestor silencer. I love the light weight of this bike and the excellent suspension. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have an 03 CR250R! ? Like all set ups, it depends on you.

Have you road it in the woods yet?

Mine is still stock, and I have had no issues with it. I changed the suspension setup a little bit Softer damping and rebound. Other than that I like the feel. She does load up a bit, but I haven't fouled a plug yet, nor have I felt a need to improve the low end for climbing. The bike takes a hill whether I'm on the pipe or not.

GOOD LUCK! :ride:

No, I haven't rode it in the woods yet. I am going to the Black Hills of western South Dakota on Monday for 3 days of riding. I put on a works connection skid plate, some acerbis hand guards, and the pro circuit spark arrestor. I am bringing a 12 tooth front sprocket just in case I feel it needs to be geared down a bit. Can't wait to try it on some steep stuff.

Skid plate was around 60 bucks. Real easy to install. Check out Dennis Kirk or Rocky Mountain ATV for a good selection.

? Thanks for the feedback. I will have one before next weekend.

Give a little feedback after you ride, I am interested in how well the bike feels to you in the woods, and if you put the sprocket on or not.

Devol always makes good radiator gaurds. Also if your looking to goa bit fancier. go with the light speed carbon fiber gaurds ?

I would also recomend that you have a stealthy offroad flywheel wheight. it helps allot with riding single track :ride:

I have a 2000 cr250 and when i ride in the woods i foul plugs like it is my job. I run 50:1 also.

you know running less oil like 50:1 your actually making the jetting richer ? Run 32:1 and jet the bike, most ppl think it's the oil the fouls plugs but it's actually the fuel...

Which rad guards are the best for the CR250R?

I run the Devol gaurds, they come with the braces wereas the works units do not. TT has been advertising the Rooster racing units and they look like they are really tough. On a Honda radiator gaurds are a must have. I forgot to mention before, handgaurds, there is nothing like crawling throught some really tight single track and having a branch grab your clutch or front break lever.

I've got an 02 CR250 set up for woods. My setup so far is a revalved suspension (front/rear), skidplate, rad guards, s12's, PC Platiumum 2 pipe, fmf shorty silencer (liked it better then the PC silencer), handguards, and scotts steering dampner. This set up has worked for me

I have a 04 that was jetted by JD jetting. The bike runs excellent in all conditions, no loading, fouling plugs and very little ooze.Also has the VForce 3 reed, stock pipe, FMF powercore 2 sparkarester, Clark 3.2 tank, Factory Conn skid plate and rad guards, 18 rear, Trailtech side stand, Rekluse clutch, and a trials tire. The best mod's in my opinion for a CR 250 two stroke for offroad is the rekluse clutch, Jetting and suspension.

you know running less oil like 50:1 your actually making the jetting richer ? Run 32:1 and jet the bike, most ppl think it's the oil the fouls plugs but it's actually the fuel...

how is that so

This is true. Go back to 32:1 and fix your jetting. Never try to fix plug fouling problems with mixing ratio. I bet you need to raise the clip on you needle one and drop your main down 1 or 2. Here is my 01 Woods bike. 0001014.jpg

This is true. Go back to 32:1 and fix your jetting. Never try to fix plug fouling problems with mixing ratio. I bet you need to raise the clip on you needle one and drop your main down 1 or 2. Here is my 01 Woods bike. 0001014.jpg

Sweet looking bike, looks like it was built for the twisties.

I have an 04 CR250R and I do some woods riding so I guess I will tell you what I got for setup....I have the motor ported and polished and the head milled for 100 octane fuel along with V-Force reeds, FMF SST pipe, Q2 silencer, and an 11oz flywheel weight. As for the handling dept I had Race Tech revalve it front and rear, Scott's stabilizer, and the Factory Connection linkage kit. I also have an IMS tank, all plastic wrap around hand guards, Devol skid plate and rad. guards, Moto-Master oversive front rotor and flamed rear rotor to slow down in when it gets real tight real quick, and I have it geared at 13-49. The only other things I want to do to it are an 18in rear and a 20in front. ?:ride: