Sign in to follow this  

Where's The Fire?

The wind changed this morning and started to blow from the South. By noon the Okanagan valley was full of smoke from somewhere in Northern Washington. Where are the fires? We've been lucky so far this year with just a couple of lightning strikes in our riding area West of Summerland. Somebody said that one of the fires was near Lake Chelan. Lets hope for some rain.

The wind changed this morning and started to blow from the South. By noon the Okanagan valley was full of smoke from somewhere in Northern Washington. Where are the fires? We've been lucky so far this year with just a couple of lightning strikes in our riding area West of Summerland. Somebody said that one of the fires was near Lake Chelan. Lets hope for some rain.

Let see, there are three active fires. Winthrop, Stehekin at the head of Lk. Chelan, and another in the Entiat Valley. :thumbsup:

TONY

Does the fire in the Entiat close or threaten to close Mad Lake or the Devils Backbone area? I am planning to do the Goose Creek to 25 Mile Creek and back sometime soon.

P Bryant

Probably the one from Winthrop! I have timberland right next to the Okanogan National Forest and this season kinda stresses me out. I keep an eye on the local paper via http://www.omakchronicle.com to see what going on in my area. There may be info there for you to see also regarding the current fires. I had a real close call last year about this time. But my land was spared!

On the map, click on the fire and it will give you the details. This is a daily updated site.

fires

Does the fire in the Entiat close or threaten to close Mad Lake or the Devils Backbone area? I am planning to do the Goose Creek to 25 Mile Creek and back sometime soon.

P Bryant

No, it is burning in the wilderness more twords Lk. Chelan. The only thing to be careful of is the North Tommy trailhead is also a LZ and staging area for heli-tac operations.

I want to do that ride too, but there are problems in the 25 mile creek area with washouts. Check with the ranger district to see if the trails are passable. :ride: The Mad Lake trails are open now by the way :thumbsup:

TONY

Yeah, the Mad River trails ARE open. We just rode Saturday 7/29 Chikamin up, visited Klone Peak and saw the smoke to the north, went down Upper Tommy to the Entiat (and saw the trucks up at the North Tommy trailhead) and then returned by Middle Tommy and Alder. Great ride and no fire problems whatsoever! :thumbsup:

Yeah, the Mad River trails ARE open. We just rode Saturday 7/29 Chikamin up, visited Klone Peak and saw the smoke to the north, went down Upper Tommy to the Entiat (and saw the trucks up at the North Tommy trailhead) and then returned by Middle Tommy and Alder. Great ride and no fire problems whatsoever! :thumbsup:

Sounds like a great ride. How many miles would one like that be?

Greg

I want to do that ride too, but there are problems in the 25 mile creek area with washouts. Check with the ranger district to see if the trails are passable

Hayshaker, Do you any idea specifically what trail or roads are washed out? I talked with the Chelan Ranger district today and they had no knowledge of any trail being washed out. They did tell me that Mrtle Lake and Duncan hill are closed due to the Tinpan fire. I have always wanted to ride Duncan. I am planning the Lk Wenathchee/Chelan and back sometime around the end of the month and I would sure like to know what is passable before I get 60 miles from the truck. I can't wait to ride that Devils backbone stuff again.

P Bryant

02 GG 300

The smoke you got was from what is now the largest fire in the US- the Tripod Fire, which I just spent 14 days on. The fire north of Lake Chelan is the Flick Fire, and is about 3000 acres I think, the Tinpan Fire (upper Entiat Valley) is around 4000... Tripod is currently 45,000 plus or so. Don't worry Toyota_MDT... it's a long ways away from your neck of the woods. At one point about... 9 day or so ago I forget now the column from Tripod covered most of the western US and part of souther Canada... it's been putting up a column almost every day (which for those of you who don't know, a column symbolizes extreme fire behavior and rapid fire growth).

This pic was taken on Wed, July 26. The fire started on Monday July 24. This pic was taken from my house near Conconully. The fire now covers over 75,000 acres. And I believe at 10% containment. It will take snow to put this one to bed. th_IMG_0672_1.jpg

This pic was taken on Wed, July 26. The fire started on Monday July 24. This pic was taken from my house near Conconully. The fire now covers over 75,000 acres. And I believe at 10% containment. It will take snow to put this one to bed.

fire sucks, but that is an amazing picture you captured!

The smoke you got was from what is now the largest fire in the US- the Tripod Fire, which I just spent 14 days on. The fire north of Lake Chelan is the Flick Fire, and is about 3000 acres I think, the Tinpan Fire (upper Entiat Valley) is around 4000... Tripod is currently 45,000 plus or so. Don't worry Toyota_MDT... it's a long ways away from your neck of the woods. At one point about... 9 day or so ago I forget now the column from Tripod covered most of the western US and part of souther Canada... it's been putting up a column almost every day (which for those of you who don't know, a column symbolizes extreme fire behavior and rapid fire growth).

Have any of these fires been created by people?

Greg

Have any of these fires been created by people?

Greg

The Flick Creek fire near Stehekin was caused by a person burning pages out of her journal. :ride: The latest near Spokane started from a trash fire. :applause: The others I believe are all natural (lightning).

Glad to hear you had a safe depoyment Chase :thumbsup:

TONY

Tony nailed it, most fires were lightning caused save Flick and the Spokane one. Spur Peak (which is part of Tripod now) was actually unstaffed for a while and considered a non-threat... but it surprised us all. The acreage from Spur actually was greater than Tripod by 1,000 or so acres before the two merged... they were sure putting on a show tonight! I have some great pictures too if anyone is interested. BTW Tony- deployment implies that I spent some time in my fire shelter, which fortunately I didn't :thumbsup: However, I did have the misfortune of having the fire chase me out (no pun intended) and I had to motivate 130 inmates up one of the steepest hills you'll find to get back to our rigs and out to safety... that was an experience I'll never forget!

I did have the misfortune of having the fire chase me out (no pun intended) and I had to motivate 130 inmates up one of the steepest hills you'll find to get back to our rigs and out to safety... that was an experience I'll never forget!

I agree, poor choice of words :thumbsup: I too have had a couple of those experiences. Thats why I stay away from forest fires :ride: my fat a** cant run fast enough anymore.

Just be careful Chase, the alternative is not worth it!

TONY

Tony nailed it, most fires were lightning caused save Flick and the Spokane one. Spur Peak (which is part of Tripod now) was actually unstaffed for a while and considered a non-threat... but it surprised us all. The acreage from Spur actually was greater than Tripod by 1,000 or so acres before the two merged... they were sure putting on a show tonight! I have some great pictures too if anyone is interested. BTW Tony- deployment implies that I spent some time in my fire shelter, which fortunately I didn't :thumbsup: However, I did have the misfortune of having the fire chase me out (no pun intended) and I had to motivate 130 inmates up one of the steepest hills you'll find to get back to our rigs and out to safety... that was an experience I'll never forget!

I am an amateur photographer and would love to see some pics. If you have no where to host them I can put them on line for you if you email them to me.

Still waiting for my next bike.

Greg