Sign in to follow this  

Where is the ultimate place to live for moto etc?

Ok I live in IL.. and its not much fun... I have to drive about 2 hours either way to get to a moto track. There is quite a few nice ones around.. Red Bud being one of them.. but then comes in winter.. blah! So I am thinking of moving somewhere that is warm pretty much all year round.. Where is the best place for moto, mountain biking, snowboarding, etc..

Now I know some will say Cali.. but I dont think I can afford Cali.. so I was thinking New Mexico cause they have the cheap houseing and tax rates and warm climate.. but I have no idea how the moto scene is.. so looking for help..

Where should I relocate to?

I'm going to have to say Arizona, tracks from 20 minutes up to 35 minutes, dunes and desert right their, tons of trails, etc...Michigan is good too, but tracks are far, unless you live right by one, but for trails, upper Michigan and mid-lower are great all around. Arizona has no red/green sticker laws like CA, all you need is a State Permit which is $15 per year, and you're good to ride anywhere. I'm moving out to Arizona.

not to mention year round riding. i guess cali has that too but its next door so u can drop on by there too. AZ is also a good place for real estate i hear. good places to bike nearby and then theres sedona up a little north for your bicycle. Snow is usually pretty up north also.

Southern California without a doubt. Its the mecca of motocross. But you'r right it is very expensive. Nor Cal might sounds good too, maybe some of the norcal guys can chime in.

Definately in Southern California out near temecula. Land and housing is fairly cheap right now and it is starting to develop quickly so you property will increase in value. I don't know what your price range is but you can find 1500+ sq. ft. homes for $200,000 - $300,000 around the temecula/menifee area, that's pretty cheap for California. There is like 6 tracks within and hour and freeriding right out your backyard in most places, plus you're pretty much right in the middle of the mountains and the beach.

Nice sig theclone.

While your still in IL. you should check out the track in northern Mo. in Kohoka it's a great track.

New Jersey is about as good as it gets. Oh wait...excuse me, I was just dreaming.

I'd guess that places in the southwest are where you want to be.

Socal sounds good but I could never live there and be happy. The political environment (and resulting rule of law) would drive me insane...

I've got not complains with AZ. Although I rarely ride tracks (mostly stick to off-road) there are several less than an hour away.

Thanks for the thoughts so far guys.. my price range is about 200K tops for a house.. So I am thinking from the results so far that AZ might be a good option.. what parts/cities in AZ are you guys talking about with the good MX?

ALso I have been to Kahokia MO. it was a pretty fun track.. went there for a regional for Lorreta Lynns

i would say north carolina. pretty cheap housing no stickers and tracks everywhere. check out motocrosstracks.com they can tell which states and where in those states have tracks. i dont live near nc anymore but i am going back as soon as my time is up in the mil. I am originally from Minnesota and i can tell you the climate pretty perfect. a little humid in the summer but just think no snow unless you go to the mountains.

Arizona has great riding, but developers are taking it over. There are some good mx tracks but in the summer time it is too hot even at night to ride. Get on your bike when it's 110 at night with humidity and do a few laps. That's right- it's been humid here more so than any other time I can remember. Personally I am thinking of selling and moving to Georgia maybe the Rome area. Housing in AZ got out of control last summer and now it has slowed down. For example I bought my house for 420K and now its worth between 800K and 900K in two years. Any housing in the 200K range is going to be tiny and on the way outskirts of Phoenix either west or east. Personally I like the west side, closer to San Diego and better tracks. Hope you like sunshine.

ARIZONA year round? Am I missing something here? I wouldn't think that now would be a great time to stip outside for 5 minutes let alone race motocross.

There are atleast nine tracks around the Houston area. Then you are only a few hours away from a few tracks in San Antonio and Dallas.

If you like trail riding, we have Sam Houston National Forest. Also a few membership riding areas north of the city that have miles of trail riding too.

I think alabama is alright as long as you dont live in birmingham. (its a long drive to tracks) There are a bunch of major tracks in south alabama. Alabama doesnt requre any noise checks, registration, or any of the other legal things. Everybody down here likes quads and big trucks with straight pipes and nascar so they dont mind if you have a loud dirtbike.

For example, I was at a fast food restaurant near the talledega superspeedway getting some food after pounding some laps and the 50 yr old lady that was working the cashier asked me what kind of bike I had. ( I was wearing my riding gear) I start my bike up any day of the week and for a while there I would start it as early as 8 and as late as 9-10 and I have never had complaints from my neighbors. They just wave when they see us. So, as long as you live farther south (closer to the tracks) alabama is pretty good for mx.

Ok I live in IL.. and its not much fun... I have to drive about 2 hours either way to get to a moto track. There is quite a few nice ones around.. Red Bud being one of them.. but then comes in winter.. blah! So I am thinking of moving somewhere that is warm pretty much all year round.. Where is the best place for moto, mountain biking, snowboarding, etc..

Now I know some will say Cali.. but I dont think I can afford Cali.. so I was thinking New Mexico cause they have the cheap houseing and tax rates and warm climate.. but I have no idea how the moto scene is.. so looking for help..

Where should I relocate to?

you want moto ?= BC

you want mountain biking ?=BC

you want snowboarding?=BC

you want moto ?= BC

you want mountain biking ?=BC

you want snowboarding?=BC

Yeah, i lived there or e few years -

You want rain and mud ? =BC

Socal does have the best choice of tracks, desert riding, and mx industry, if that is what you want. If it's worth it to you, then you won't mind paying out your ass for a house. I'm looking to move to Temecula and it is not cheap. If you want lawlessness, try here in Vegas. Not many tracks nearby, but lots of desert riding. Plus, the socal tracks are only 4 hours away. In the west- AZ, NV keep in mind that it is usually too hot in the summers. Just the opposite of harsh IL winters but you may still lose a few months of riding. I'd say find a nice medium where the climate is nice year round. Also, a place that gets lots of rain year round helps for keeping tracks wet.

New Jersey is about as good as it gets. Oh wait...excuse me, I was just dreaming.

I'd guess that places in the southwest are where you want to be.

I agree with Ocaptainmycaptain. They should have signs on the Garden State Parkway that say: "Welcome To New Jersey Leave The Knobbies At Home!" :thumbsup:

I think Bakersfield is pretty centrally located for tracks, Woods, Beach and the Desert. We are about half way between Nor. and So. California. I dont think Bakersfield is too bad of a place to live.