Sign in to follow this  

cr85 owners

hey guys my son has a 04 cr85 ,my question is do u have a problem with oil blowing out where the pipe meets the header?ive tried all new gaskets, and when the piston went i had the top and botom end rebuilt ,and i broke it in warming it up and cooling it down, i then went on the trak and stayed on the pipe myself, and still oil leaking .i mean at the end of a good night of riding his boot have oil on them ive even went down a main jet size im at a 122

not sure about performance i ride a 450 these 2 strokes confuse me but the whole motor was rebuilt by a guy that specializes in 2 strokes

Did you put silicone around the edge where the two pipes meet? You said you tried new gaskets, is that the rubber slip on you are talking about?

I know that connection on my CR85 leaks a little bit, but not nearly enough to have oil all over the ends of my boots? I would just take it all apart clean it in like varsol, check all the gaskets again and silicone it all up again.

My sons CR85 does the same exact thing :thumbsup: . I found though, the harder he rides it, the less it spews out, and the less it smokes. But, none-the-less,...it still happens. I went and bought a couple new o-ring seals and re-installed them. Seemed to help a little...but still leaks. I checked the plug to see if we were running rich, but it looks good. So, I'm not touching the jetting.

I'm not worrying about it anymore.

my cr85 leaks oil out the motor/muffler connection. it seems all 85's do this i just use hi temp silicone on it in any laces it leaks. like from motor to mufler and muffler to silencer. it never seemed to effect performance if it leaked or not. unless you performance is based on how clean you r. :thumbsup:

ye my 03 cr 85 used to leak oil like crazy so we used the high temp silicone and then we changed the oil mixture and now no leaks :thumbsup:

061222224.jpg

I'm not certain, but I think it's common with all 80/85s up to '05 model year. I think the exhaust mounting system is different. We have an 05 and 06 and neither seems to have any leak around the ehxaust where it meets the head.

My son has an 06 cr85 no sign of this problem.I'm no expert but I've got a mate who is and he reckons that there is a lot of misinformation out there on oil/ petrol mixture, in his opinion alot of people run their bikes to rich.Now every oil may have different recommendations but we run Fully Synthetic Motel 800 2t @ 66/1 I no it sounds lean but this bike really sings,another thing to consider is how hot your plug is if the bike is not being ridden hard you need to run a hotter plug, say a 8 0r 9 for the more sedate rider and a 10 for the full on expert.It sounds like the oil just isn't being burnt in the combustion chamber IE to rich, hope this helps.

Best leak remedy is an Atomic 22 exhaust manifold with rubber o-rings. No more leaks! :thumbsup:

"ye my 03 cr 85 used to leak oil like crazy so we used the high temp silicone and then we changed the oil mixture and now no leaks"

What were you running for oil mixture and what did you change it to?

Also I am confused. Is he talking about the silencer /Pipe connection or the pipe to cylinder connection?

If you are talking pipe to silencer, where the rubber sleeve is try using two zip ties on each end of it. That stop any leaks we had on my sons 85.

I just bought one and it did the same thing... I changed the mix and it don't leak at all now... the silencer still blows a little on the back of the number plate, but it's even slowing down and looking to stop. I mix at 36:1

What were you mixing it at before you changed it to 36:1? We run our at 40:1 as that is where the previous owner was running it and had it jetted for. would going to 36:1 make it spooge more (it would seem so) or less oil? And how bad would it effect the jetting?

This happens on all 2 strokes that are not jetted properly.

Since there is no oil injection, we end up jetting it for WOT (wide open throttle) so it will not seize. When you are not at WOT, you have more oil than needed for lubrication. Thus you get excess in the pipe and silencer.

Your best bet is to run better oil that is designed at a higher ratio of fuel to oil like 50:1. I have always run amsoil with great results. You will have to rejet the carb because less oil means more fuel. So you end up leaning out the jetting from stock. Main, pilot and needle.

So either hold it wide open 100% of the time or make some adjustments. That is the bottom line. Sealing the junction between the pipe and silencer just pushes the oil into the packing and out the end of the silencer. Not curing the problem.

I run GP7 at 36:1 with premium gas on all my 2-strokes.... the jetting seems fine. Like I said I just bought mine, so I don't know for sure what the gas was mixed at, but it was the darkest I've seen in a while. It smoked real bad and loaded up. Once the new gas was in there at the 36:1, the spooge stopped and I have minor smoke out the pipe.

I had the same issue with my 125 and my 250... neither of those bikes liked 32:1 mixture. Both are jetted correctly and the needles are in the right position.

There is no way I could hold that CR85 wide open 100% of the time, and I couldn't expect my 10 yr old to either... so I jet per specs and adjust the mix.

Now the only spooge comming out is the old stuff from the previous owner... I will re pack this week so that will cure most of that.

Jet for your altitude/temp and bike -- NOT specs.

Dont just adjust the ratio mixture to try and compensate without changing the jetting also.

You should get a little smoke out the pipe when down low in the RPMS, but nothing when you wind it up and the bike is warm.

Jetting off the specs compenstates for altitude and temp. About the only thing left is if you have aftermarket pipes or reeds...whatever...

Once you get the jetting correct, you shouldn't have to touch it much if any.

The rest of the tuning can be accomplished by the air screw and the mix...

Assuming the bike is in good working order the spec jetting is about all you need to get real close.