Sign in to follow this  

Ack! I mistakenly ordered a non O ring chain for my SM. Will I be ok?

Hey guys, well I ordered a 44 tooth sprocket for my SM rear wheel and a new 120 link chain to switch between my E and SM wheels.

I thought I ordered an O-Ring chain, and after removing the extra links on the new chain, I realized there were no O-Rings.

The factory SM chain was an O-Ring chain...will here be any problems if I run a chain without O-Rings?

As long as it is the same size you won't hurt your bike any.

You're fine, just more maintenance - keep a closer eye on it.

It won't last as long, will stretch faster and need lube more often. I once forgot to lube an "O"ring before a 4 hour off road ride in the desert. It didn't ruin the chain or sprockets. I don't believe a non-"O"ring chain would have made out so good.

I don't normally lube my O-ring chains and they don't seem to wear out any quicker. They make more noise so on street rides they make more noise so I will give them a shot if I don't have earplugs in.

Watch that chain man. I imagine a chain breaking at street speeds would be very bad.

It will be fine, you just have to clean and lube more... I run non o ring in all my dirt race machines... less resistance, more power :thumbsup:

It will be fine, you just have to clean and lube more... I run non o ring in all my dirt race machines... less resistance, more power :thumbsup:

As do many, many racers. It is not a "weaker" chain by any means. Just takes more maintainence but as said will suck off less power than the o ring style.

Yeah may be wrong but AFAIK non o-ring chains are a bit lighter, a bit stronger, and less resistance...you pay for this in increased maintenance.

I'm a lazy bugger so run a DID o-ring chain.

Are you referring to one riveted on? Like the stock one.

I've been and still run a standard master link and have been doing so for over 30 years, installed properly they work perfectly good.