Can a Suzuki 400SM ride on trails?

Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a Dual Sport Motorcycle. I fell in love with the Suzuki 400SM but I was wondering if it would hold up in the dirt/trails? I'd imagine the gearing would be a challenge, as would swapping out the tires/rims. Would you guys suggest that I just get the standard dual sport from Suzuki? I have a 8 mile commute to work and I would probably split the time on the bike half on road half off.

Thanks for any feedback,

Nick

Good Luck on the off-road. The tires and set up for the 400sm are not to be taken off road. The switch for new rims and tires is expensive just be sure to use the over sized disc if you convert, this so your brakes work. I recommend as a 400sm owner to get something dual sport, 400sm is strictly a road bike.

The S and some good off road tires are going to be better than

the SM. But I have run mine, 17s with pilot powers, and make it

fine, but I did have to pay more attention not to let the front

slide out in the soft stuff. ?

Good Luck on the off-road. The tires and set up for the 400sm are not to be taken off road. The switch for new rims and tires is expensive just be sure to use the over sized disc if you convert, this so your brakes work. I recommend as a 400sm owner to get something dual sport, 400sm is strictly a road bike.
True any SM is not a trail bike. That being said have you watched any supermoto racing lately? They have dirt sections and ride with slicks on it.

I have even had my SM out on a motocross track a little bit. My bike is more of a racebike than street bike... but still it can be done.

As mentioned a number of times above, the front tire will have a tendency to wash out on dry gravelly dirt roads. Having said that, I have ridden mine on quite a few dirt roads. It takes a while to get used to the washout problem, but on slippery dirt roads It's not hard at all to maintain 25 to 30 mph. There are a number of tire mnfg that make a dual sport tire for 85- 95% pavement use. These are advertised as having great adhesion on pavement and they look like with their configuration they would offer considerable off road adaptability compared to the near slicks avail from the factory.

When comparing The SM to a dual sport bike I figure I would rather have the setup to really corner on pavement and go a bit slower on dirt. After all a low side on dirt @ 30 mph is a lot better than a low side on pavement at 65-70 mph.

With different tires,, the SM's will work on dirt roads and very easy trails..Look at the BMW 1200 GS, those things weigh close to 500#, have no better tires and no better suspension than our SM's but people take them offroad, same for bikes like the V-Strom..

It's harder and you can't go as fast, but I've had my DRZ400SM in some crazy places. And it's tons of fun hitting jumps. The quad guys always look at me like I'm nuts. That's with the stock tires. Same ones that are on my ZX-10R ?

On hard pack, you can go pretty fast and really let the rear end slide out far. On loose stuff like culm and sand, it can get a little rough.

Dude,

The only thing you are giving up are the brakes. You can get black plastics for the S or better yet, a street legal E model.

YOu can get BETTER brakes than stock if you go with 17s on your own, not to mention that bike will be a 1/2 hour conversion back and forth if you plan it right.

nothing wrong with an SM in the dirt; i've done over 750 km in all sorts of stuff. The stock tires are a little rough in the soft stuff- true: but there is a fix for that

im000246vr6.jpg

i'm glad that i got the SM over the S because when it gets down to it fits my riding the best.

Oh and thats not my bike: i'm sticking with the 17's (which do surprisingly well) for now until im rolling in cash ?