Sign in to follow this  

valves

i have a 04' crf 250x and its been running great untill this year. the bike has a total of about 200hrs. almost a month ago i had trouble starting it and keeping it idle by itself, even after it was warmed up good. then i couldn't even get it to start the next day or two. so i took it to a honda shop and the mechanics cleaned the carberator and and got it to start but not to its best ability. i brought it home and right away had the same trouble starting it as i had before i took it to the shop, but i still got some hours in of fun riding. about a week later i bought some gas at a different gas station from where i normally get gas and topped off my tank with the new stuff but found out that it was bad gas and couldnt even keep my bike running after cranking on it for 8 minutes both electric and kick start. so i checked my valves that day and found the intake valves were very tight, couldnt even get 0.0015 inches under them. i then took it back to the honda shop and they reshimmed it and got it to start up and run like it should. then i raced the next day and rode back at home and possibly got in 5 hours of riding time alltogether after getting it back from the shop to find that it had trouble idleing and starting again. i checked the intake valves today and found that they tightened up again to where i couldnt get 0.0015 inches under it. im wondering how bad is my problem and can i ride like this at all for a little bit or not? and if the valves are wearing out, how much do they cost to replace? or what do you think the problem is and what would be the best way to fix it?

Thanks

i have a 04' crf 250x and its been running great untill this year. the bike has a total of about 200hrs. almost a month ago i had trouble starting it and keeping it idle by itself, even after it was warmed up good. then i couldn't even get it to start the next day or two. so i took it to a honda shop and the mechanics cleaned the carberator and and got it to start but not to its best ability. i brought it home and right away had the same trouble starting it as i had before i took it to the shop, but i still got some hours in of fun riding. about a week later i bought some gas at a different gas station from where i normally get gas and topped off my tank with the new stuff but found out that it was bad gas and couldnt even keep my bike running after cranking on it for 8 minutes both electric and kick start. so i checked my valves that day and found the intake valves were very tight, couldnt even get 0.0015 inches under them. i then took it back to the honda shop and they reshimmed it and got it to start up and run like it should. then i raced the next day and rode back at home and possibly got in 5 hours of riding time alltogether after getting it back from the shop to find that it had trouble idleing and starting again. i checked the intake valves today and found that they tightened up again to where i couldnt get 0.0015 inches under it. im wondering how bad is my problem and can i ride like this at all for a little bit or not? and if the valves are wearing out, how much do they cost to replace? or what do you think the problem is and what would be the best way to fix it?

Thanks

What your describing is not called a "problem" but yet called "maintenance" with these race bikes. And the valves seem to get out of spec faster on the 04's than the 05' and 06's If you search this you will find pages of info including the sticky http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=344905

Others have had this issue first hand and can give you better info. I haven't had to shim my 06' X yet.

I wouldn't call it maintanence, I call it a normal wear item on the crf. You did real good to get 200 hours out of the original valves. It's time for a valve job now and it's not that bad if you stick with stock parts. I would get an 06 R head since with 200 hours, your seats are going to need cutting anyways and guides might be loose. The 06 head will perform better and has the better seat material. $213 from Service Honda. Get all new intakes and exhaust valves, springs and seals, gaskets, might as well do piston and rings too. Without pricing the whole thing out, I'd guess your going to spend under $500 for parts with a new head. It's not that hard to do yourself if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. Search the forums, there's tons of info. You can also check out Rick Ramsey's site, he has all the part #'s and lots of other info.

I wouldn't call it maintanence, I call it a normal wear item on the crf.

Better said :thumbsup:

hey thanks for the info on what you gave me, im real new to this engine technology though. id really like to know these motors. i was wondering tho, instead of an 06' R head, couldnt i use a 06' X head?? or is the R head a better way to go, like whats the benifits to having it? does it still last longer than the new X heads? and should i be waiting for the 2007's?

hey thanks for the info on what you gave me, im real new to this engine technology though. id really like to know these motors. i was wondering tho, instead of an 06' R head, couldnt i use a 06' X head?? or is the R head a better way to go, like whats the benifits to having it? does it still last longer than the new X heads? and should i be waiting for the 2007's?

The difference is the port design. The R head has a smaller D shaped port that enhances intake velocity and improves bottom and mid power. The X head has bigger oval shaped ports, everything else is the same.

i have been getting r heads for the last 2 weeks and they are the 07 head with a better revised ex port