Sign in to follow this  

New AMA National Enduro format

Well, it looks like the AMA in an effort to increase public attendance and awareness of the National Enduro series is changing the rules and methods of scoring. As I heard it, the events will no longer be scored by time at secret checkpoints throughout the course. The overall courses will be shorter, there will be a couple of test areas within the course in which the riders will be timed however it will not be based on average speed. The courses will be closed and will not be routed down any road requiring street legallity and any club sponsering an event must attempt to provide accomodations for spectators. They are calling it a Qualifier Format and to me it sounds like they are taking a technically demanding race and turning it into a big Hare Scramble. There are many other little changes that are being discussed and (or) implemented and the decision making process has been turned over to a third party by the AMA. I'm interested to see how the whole thing shakes out.

I don't know the answer but the National Enduros need shaken up. They have fallen behind in importance and even the dirt bike media to MX, GNCC, and even Super-Moto.

It sounds like they are attempting to come to mainstream FIM/WEC rule sets and more like the ISDE...may be a good move or bad. We shall see...

Enduro's are about timekeeping and having to think ahead and try to anticipate the upcoming section. Once again I think the AMA has screwed up. They are just turning Enduros into hare scrambles. :thumbsup:

I agree that the new format is going to suck. The older guys in our club are less than impressed with the AMA right now. I think part of the problem is that an Enduro is a race for dirt bikers and was never really intended to be a spectator sport. I dread the thought of Mountain Dew banners and "Extreme" action shots just to make the sport more mainstream. I also agree that the Enduro series needs to get shaken up a bit but I'm not entirley convinced that this is the proper way to do it. If I want a balls out land race I'll watch the Baja 500. At least the District races will still run the original format.

I agree that the new format is going to suck. The older guys in our club are less than impressed with the AMA right now. I think part of the problem is that an Enduro is a race for dirt bikers and was never really intended to be a spectator sport. I dread the thought of Mountain Dew banners and "Extreme" action shots just to make the sport more mainstream. I also agree that the Enduro series needs to get shaken up a bit but I'm not entirley convinced that this is the proper way to do it. If I want a balls out land race I'll watch the Baja 500. At least the District races will still run the original format.

I agree whole heartedly. Another thing is the best spectator spot would be right next to the gnarliest single track, can you imagine how both the BLM and the greenies would react to people walking through the vegetation areas. Also, people at race events are slobs, they will leave trash everywhere. IMO this is a bad idea, not all racing needs to be on TV, and those of us that race enduros do not do it for other to watch, we would be riding MX if that was important. I don't want to see our riding areas torn up or the enduro format changed. I have heard rumors that a few enduros may not take place this year or will not be invloved with the AMA enduro series if the format was changed.

This seems to be a hot topic amoungst many off road forums. There is a definite split in riders/promoters thinking in the different forums with some pro-FIM and some vehemently against FIM rule sets.

My true hope is that some form of reasonable compromise can be come to to keep US enduros unique, but also move forward onto the world stage and increase rider participation.

I think that keeping the stealth and unknown aspect of secret checks could be a great compromise in keeping the timekeeping aspect and unique flavor of the timekeepers. Allow a minimum of 2 and no more than 3 secret checks in the two loop format. Also loop mileage minimums could be a great thing, say have to be minimum 40+ miles. This would allow nationals where a timekeeping aspect is necessary for permitting, but still would allow movement forward. It would be a new game, but still be a thinking man's game with secret checks.

I encourage everyone to come up with creative ideas to keep the timekeeper aspect of US Enduro, while moving forward with an obvious direction that AMA is heading.