Sign in to follow this  

Draconian UK Laws

You know, we sure gripe a lot about problem neighbors and police activity, etc. Usually with good reason, to be sure.

But imagine having to deal with THIS public mindset:

Mad Dog UK Constables Crush Dirt Bikes

No wonder we don't hear from our UK brothers much - they are 'a menace'!

:thumbsup:

Here's the text:

Man's anger at police threat to crush bike

AN East Herts man who lent his £3,000 motocross bike to his nephew is furious that police confiscated the vehicle and plan to crush it.

Lee Pearse, 27, is still paying for the Yamaha bike — but it's about to be turned into a cube of metal.

His nephew, Lee Lawrence, 17, of Fanhams Road, Ware, was stopped by police when he rode the bike onto a bridleway near the gravel pits at Chapmore End, where he and his friends were riding.

Although he was unaware that the gravel path was a public highway, and there were no signs to warn him, an officer confiscated the vehicle and one ridden by his friend, on the spot.

Now, in a case that will serve as a warning to trail bikers across the county, Herts police will crush the bikes, as they are designed only for track use and cannot be insured on the roads.

Lee, who uses the YZF 250 legally on a track in Harlow, said: "They didn't even get a warning. It's so heavy-handed. I think it's disgusting.

"What's so annoying is that it's my bike — I'm getting punished. Fair enough if it was me. I'm 27 and should know better. But they didn't even realise.

"The officer said just because it doesn't have a white line down the middle doesn't mean it's not a road."

Lee, a lorry driver from Bishop's Stortford, has seen a solicitor and enlisted the help of county councillor David Beatty (Con, Ware North) to persuade police to relent before they crush the bike in a week's time.

But yesterday (Thursday, 27 July), the force was sticking by its use of a law which the county's chief constable, Frank Whiteley, was instrumental in introducing to the statute book.

A spokeswoman said: "These bikes are manufactured for use in motocross.

"They are not for use on bridleways and they are not roadworthy. You cannot register and insure them.

"Section 152 of the Serious and Organised Crime Act 2005 gives police the power to seize bikes used on public highways without insurance and without an appropriate licence.

"If the bike had hit somebody, there could have been a compensation claim for hundreds of thousands of pounds.

"Since August 2005, we have seized 4,400 bikes under this legislation. We were alerted to this one by a complaint from a member of the public."

The hard-line stance has won backing from Hertfordshire's Country Land and Business Association.

Lending support to Operation Agrarian, Herts police's crackdown on trail biking in rural areas, chairman David de Boinville said: "These motorcyclists are a menace. They are a danger to walkers and horse- riders, cut up paths and ruin the peace of the countryside."

Oh that can't be right. The U.K. is much too "enlightened" to let that happen.

*sarcasm off*

This "Hertfordshire's Country Land and Business Association" must be something like the States' Sierra Club in the U.K. :thumbsup:

Section 152 of the Serious and Organised Crime Act 2005

WOW! The "Serious and Organized Crime Act" covers riding a dirt bike on a gravel road?!?! :thumbsup::ride::cry::ride:

I was stoped so many times on my rs by cops who thought id stolen it because of the area i lived in! :cry:

but a few weeks ago i power wheelied away from the lights on my drz and a cop saw me, and a bit down the road he just smiled at me and noded :ride:

but the public oppinion is against bikers of any type over this side of the pond you just have to try and be sensible with what you do :thumbsup:

..."Section 152 of the Serious and Organised Crime Act..."
That almost sounds like a Monty Python skit.

"One more time, m'lady. Was it a "Serious" crime?

"Oh! MOST Serious! And quite possible "Organized".

"Serious" and "Organized" you say? We may have to call in the Ministry of Silly Walks!

I want them to seize and crush a horse :ride:

HAHA :ride::ride::crazy::thumbsup:

I wonder if they would not that fox hunting is not legal? :cry:

Even though we're (the US) are heading in that direction; thank God we're not there yet. This is another example why I'm still glad to live in the USA. We need to take note of situations like this to ensure it doesn't happen here. Join the AMA if you haven't already.

AMA Life Member

That almost sounds like a Monty Python skit.

"One more time, m'lady. Was it a "Serious" crime?

"Oh! MOST Serious! And quite possible "Organized".

"Serious" and "Organized" you say? We may have to call in the Ministry of Silly Walks!

The crushed YZ250F will make a nice bookend for all of the crushed firearms.

So if it is a "Ramdom act of ultra violence" a la Clockwork Orange, it does not qualify.

Reminds me of Dennis Miller's talk about "Armed and Dangerous".

"I think the armed part pretty much covers the dangerous part."

That is a bit harsh, i can only guess that they were being smarts arses or they had received some sort of warning prior, or they were just riding recklessly :thumbsup:

In the UK we have ancient highways that go all over the countryside that we may use quite legally, however because the highways don't have tarmac and a white line doesn't mean the vehicles can be unroadworthy, these kids knew this. The luxury we have in the UK is that we can road register just about any bike we like, very easily including MX bikes. Those kids again know this already and if the police were called as per the article by a neighbour then they were also causing a nusiance as well as riding illegally. It is hard to feel too much sympathy for ******** like that because they make it that little bit harder for genuine enthusiasts to enjoy their hobby without being tarred by the same brush as the yobs that ride recklessly and illegally :ride:

The guy that owned the bike knew all this too, his bike may only be ridden on private land. The public land here or (common land) is only for the public to graze their livestock on or more in keeping with todays age to be enjoyed by non mechanical propelled vehicles IE foot :cry: If he bothered to road register his bike which he could have done very easily then assuming the kids had a licence and relevant insurance (which they didn't have) all that would have happened is they would have been issued with a section 59 which is nothing more than a written warning not to ride on public land

Here in the States, our public servants go for the cash. They don't bother with theatrics to, "...serve as a warning...", they impound the bike, then auction it off to the highest bidder (or the Chief of Police gives it to his nephew). Yep, much like a third-world country.

(With apologies to Third-World countries.)