Sign in to follow this  

handgaurd protector question

Picked up a 03 KTM 300 MXC it has a aluminum wrap-around type hand guards. I was wondering if i would brake my wists in them if i happened to go over the bars, anyone heard of this happening?

Thanks, Steve

Years ago I had'm on my KTM 200 & 300 and never broke my wrists. I do have a scare on the back of my hand from the decompression lever on my 00-426 I had. Every time you go down you have the possibility of break'n or hurt'n something.

Can you break your wrists with hand guards, possible. Will you, who knows.

After sore bloody knuckles, broken fingers from trees/saplings and those hand guards start look'n pretty safe. :thumbsup:

I think the odds of falling off the side of the bike and trying to break the fall with your hands and ending up breaking your wrists is MUCH GREATER than going OVER the handlebars and getting your wrists broke by the hand guards that way.

Just my opinion though, I mean you might go over the handlebars more than you fall off the side :thumbsup:

Just my opinion though, I mean you might go over the handlebars more than you fall off the side :thumbsup:

But if you do - you may want to consider a review of your riding technique!

If you're the type to keep your hands on the bars when you crash, you will break your wrists with the aluminum wrap-around guards. Most of the time when I crash though I'm going fast enough to get my hands involuntarily thrown off of the bars, so I couldn't keep them on if I wanted to.

Doug

Personally, I would like to have the plastic fairing on aluminum bash bars, possible taking up some of the impact, slightly reducing the odds of my arm slipping way down, plus they keep the bushes off my knuckles.

The consensus I have read is handguards (open end) for motocross,

barkbusters (solid loops back to the bar ends) for off-road.

There are people who have had their arms go down into the barkbuster and get broken. There are more people with broken fingers from not having them.

If they really bother you, you can take them off and send them to me. :thumbsup::

set them lower where they are supposed to be and that will never be a problem