Sign in to follow this  

Scotts Steering Stabilizer on an SM?

I sent an e-mail to Scotts last week and have not received a response. Does anyone know if they make an SM specific kit that includes the upper triple clamp, barclamp and bars? (different forks than E or S).

Also it looks like i'll need to install it reversed to clear the computer.

Do I need the whole kit or is there an easier way to do it??

If you have the sm then I'd just check to see if they have an upper bar mount that mounts the stabilizer. It just replaces the two upper clamp halves with a single one that the damper mounts to. Let them know it is for a street bike, I think I've read that they use different valveing for street than dirt. On the street it dampens both directions and dirt only dampens on the away from center stroke (return to center is undampened)

Thanks, I'll call tomorrow to check on that. I really need a stabilizer after last night's ride. I went to Hagerstown, MD. about a two hour ride to see the AMA flat track races. I was riding with a bunch of Harleys on I81 at about 75 to 85 MPH. The headshake and wandering of the SM was almost impossible to control. My right hand was numb the whole way home. I think a stabilizer might help.

A stabilizer will make a world of difference on any DRZ in any situation.

My DRZ is 10 times the highway bike now that I have a stabilizer on it.

BJ

I want to go with Pro Taper 1 1/8 bars, so I need a whole new top clamp, who makes one for the SM? Will it be the same as for an RM 250? I'm going to call Scotts tomorrow to see if they have one for the SM.

I'd be willing to bet that scott's has everything you are going to need, you may have to take a couple of measurements but they will be able to hook you up :thumbsup:

I was considering the Zeta Top Clamp Kit Comp at wheelingcyclesupply.com, I want to do the same thing. Anyone use this?

Why re-invent the wheel?

My drz400SM has had oversized bars and a steering dampner since the 1st month I've had the bike. ( last AUG). You do not need a new triple clamp to run oversized bars.

Like most of you, I called arround and no one seemed very helpfull with telling me what I needed. Until I called Emig Racing...

Thier Response was " Sure, no problem "

http://www.emigracing.com/drz400sm.htm

DRZ2.JPG