Sign in to follow this  

2nd Hand 4 Stroke Dirt Bikes

Hello Lads,

1st post be gentle.....

No doubt this is asked everyday by newbes coming on here so why should it change know :cry:

I am chasing a second hand 4 stoke dirt bike for around $2000 in Brisbane

What are my options here for one thats not totally ****ed.

What year bike would I be looking at getting for this money in the big brands. :ride:

Chasing a pissy little 125cc as Im a dirt bike spastic and vertically challenged :ride:

I notice the market here on ebay is flooded with chinese crap.

Can you help lads by throwing around some models and no doubt access to spare parts in Brisbane, Australia. Place to be.... :thumbsup:

Welcome aboard, Johno!

"4-stroke" and "dirt bike" really tightens up the choices. I'd say that leaves you with...

- Honda XRs or older CRFs.

- Suzuki DRs (I liked my DR350, just keep the oil clean!), or DRZs or RMZs.

- Yamaha WRs and YZFs.

I don't know of any critical/crippling issues on any of the Japanese 4-strokes (yes, even the valve issues on some of the new bikes isn't a death blow - just something to be aware of).

Good luck!

If this is your first dirt bike, go for a used XR250 or KLX300.

If you go after one of the newer 250F bikes, the YZ250F is probably the longest lasting one. But in your price range, you'll probably get one that is beat up or needs a top end rebuild, which is expensive.

The Chinese bikes are no name bikes right now. Some slaps a name on it, like "BBB" making it look like the high quality "BBR" aftermarket kit bike, but it's not in the same league. Next week, the same bike shows up as a Kamazuki. If you ride it hard, you'll smash up and break parts like crazy. Then try to find replacement parts.

Once the Chinese bikes come over with the factory name and the factory has to live up to it's reputation, quality will start to improve. Until then, there is no real accountability.

It really depends on what kind of riding you are going to be doing. If you are doing trail riding than I suggest a WR, XR, KLX, TTR, DRZ, CRFX.

If you are going to be riding motocross tracks then I suggest a CRF, YZF, KXF, RMZ, TC.

You will have to look at the specs of the bike also and see if they will fit you. Such as the seat height and engine displacement. For example if you are 5'0 you don't want a anything with to big of a seat height for you. Nowif you are around 5'10 or taller than you can probally fit any seat height. For displacement it all depends on how much power you can handle in the conditions you are going to be riding in. For example you don't want a JR50 doing serious trail riding (I don't think the suspension could take it). If you are doing tight woods and single track I suggest a WR or CRFX. If you are riding open desert I suggest the XR, although any bike can work for any conditions. You just have to be more experienced if you have the wrong bike for the wrong job. Such as, I ride my KX125 in technical trails all the time. A 125 two stroke, and it is very hard to ride trails with because it was made for motocross.

Anyways good luck on your decision.

[Abandoned]

Thanks for the replys lads.

Just looking to put in in my ute and ride to some sort of bush track and not racing.

Looking at a Honda XR125. :ride:

2 strokes require too much maintainence from what Im hearing. :cry:

Now that Im on the hunt lads, can you advise on what I should look for and what are common faults on these 15 odd year old bikes. :thumbsup:

Any thoughts might help me from getting ripped off :ride:

cheers

Johno

Honda never sold an XR125 in the United States, so you might be on your own with that bike. There was an XR200R, XR200, XL185, and XL175. Then down to the XR100.

XR's are pretty reliable if they are not beaten to death or neglected.

I would start by talking to local shops in your area regarding parts availability, reliability, and of course find out if mechanics will work on that bike if you need "professional help". Most shops in out area will not work on bike more than 10 years old.

It seems bikes over there need to be plated - would this have a license plate too?

No sure mate, I am a dick, there is no XR125. Looking at TT Yammy know

Not sure mate, I am a dick, there is no XR125. Looking at a TT Yammy now...

XR 250's are very reliable and versatile machines.

My old '82 is still alive and kicking

Odd on fav are KTM. They build a better engine. Hands down. Look at Kelly's blue book. They have every KTM rated higher than every Jap bike.

Johno, welcome aboard! You are right to go for a thumper rather than a 2-smoke! I highly recommend the Honda XR-250 for your first 4-stroke bike. Very reliable, fast enough and plenty o' fun. Just keep in mind-those bikes are kick start and will give you a plenty good workout by the time your day is finished!

Good Luck!

:ride:

:cry::thumbsup:

The used 4 stroke market is going to just get worse, has the older XR types go away...