Sign in to follow this  

drz oil level

Everytime I check my oil when the bike is cold I can never get a reading on the dipstick. Someone told me the drz has a dry sump and you need to run it for a few mintues then check it. Is this true?? also when i did run the bike and check it when it was cooler the level was right at the top is this ok?

Yes , you will need to run the bike for 3 minutes and then let the bike cool down for 3... then check the level .

Put a clean pan under the front of the bike. Right behind the bottom curve of the head pipe, you will see a bolt all by itself in th ecenter of the bottom edge of the motor. If you have an aftermarket skid plate it may have to come off.

That's your oil drain plug. Look in your owner's manual if you have one.

Loosen it till it starts to leak and hold it in the hole so yuou can control oil flow. Let out as much or a little more than you think you need to remove.

Tighten it back in and then check your level normally. Make sure you haven't let out too much or you will sieze the engine. You should only let out about a shotglass full.

If you are low, you can add some back in from the pan.

If you haven't changed your oil in a while, drain it all and dispose of it and add the correct amount. I changed mine the first time and could only get a little less than 2 quarts in. Manual says 2.1 or something like that. I overfilled it the first time. And had to do the above procedure.

If you are changing, you might get the magnetic drain plug from the TT store. Neat piece of kit.

If you change the filter make sure you keep track of the o ring behind it. :thumbsup:

I did have mate. I sold it.

Your post dated 15/7/06,you said you had sold your DRZ and you were interested in an XR400.What DRZ did you end up buying? i mean is it an `E` or the `S` version. Post some pics when you get chance.

Andy UK

Can you have to much oil in a dry sump??? I mean, the way it works,I doubt you could even put in enough that it would do any thing bad.

Yes you can put too much in a dry sump system.

It will never take over 2 quarts even if you start out with a completely dry freshly rebuilt engine.

If you are changing, you might get the magnetic drain plug from the TT store. Neat piece of kit.

DRZs come from the factory with magnetic drain plugs.

I have noticed the drain screw in the bottom of my frame is mullered its shreaded at the top. I have manged to get it out the hole. someone was talking about a drain magnet or somthing...where can i get one of those?

Yes you can put too much in a dry sump system.

It will never take over 2 quarts even if you start out with a completely dry freshly rebuilt engine.

It wont take, or you shouldn't put in? :thumbsup:

It wont take, or you shouldn't put in? :thumbsup:

It won't take as in "it won't need more than 2 quarts to fill it to capacity"

You can physically put more in but that wouldn't be a good idea.

So in that light I'd say "you shouldn't put in" more than 2 quarts even if you are starting with a fresh rebuild, new oil filter etc.

If you buy your oil in liters then 2 liters is not a significant enough difference to do damage, or so I've been led to believe but I guess we'll need to wait to hear from all the new experts we have on this forum :ride:

It won't take as in "it won't need more than 2 quarts to fill it to capacity"

You can physically put more in but that wouldn't be a good idea.

So in that light I'd say "you shouldn't put in" more than 2 quarts even if you are starting with a fresh rebuild, new oil filter etc.

If you buy your oil in liters then 2 liters is not a significant enough difference to do damage, or so I've been led to believe but I guess we'll need to wait to hear from all the new experts we have on this forum :cry:

Who cares :thumbsup:

Change the oil and filter, check the dipstick and :ride:

Appearantly moto isle did or he wouldn't have asked :thumbsup:

Can you have to much oil in a dry sump??? I mean, the way it works,I doubt you could even put in enough that it would do any thing bad.

Same stuff was bandied about on the XR400 forum - some anecdotal evidence about oil getting pushed into airbox through breather and blown seals.

A little over won't hurt.

Don't fill it to the top.

Cheers

DRZs come from the factory with magnetic drain plugs.

Mine doesn't stick to any metallic surfaces. MMaybe it demagnetized.

Why do they sell them for DRZ's at the TT store, just replacements?

Curious