Sign in to follow this  

Adding a tach ?

I have a 97 dr650 and would like to add a tach. Has anyone done this?

Thanks.

I have an Autometer "Jr. Dragster" tach that works great. Got it from Jegs.

I have an Autometer "Jr. Dragster" tach that works great. Got it from Jegs.

Great idea, just ordered one from Summit, should be a lot better than the slow updating digital tach's !!!

ive been looking too, the automotive ones wont work on the single cylinder.. the only one i found that works would be a jr dragster one because they run a 5 hp briggs single cylinder.. (not pushing 5 hp anymore, but the same block) the only reason i dont have one is because i didnt want to shell out the dough for it..

Yea yea yea, the old bikes had everything cool. I think they were selling too many so they started to take all the good stuff off. Same with the sweet old rack

I installed the Jr. Dragster tach last week, looks good, modified tach bracket and painted flat black to match bars. Just one problem, the tach goes nuts at 5500 RPM, then drops to 0, seems like I had a problem like this once on a car tach with MSD ignition and I had to add a choke or something to signal wire, have to experiment some more.

Tach1x800.jpg

I installed the Jr. Dragster tach last week, looks good, modified tach bracket and painted flat black to match bars. Just one problem, the tach goes nuts at 5500 RPM, then drops to 0, seems like I had a problem like this once on a car tach with MSD ignition and I had to add a choke or something to signal wire, have to experiment some more.

Tach1x800.jpg

WOW looks great. Just what I was looking for :thumbsup: .

How hard to install?

Let me know if you7 solve the 5500 RPM problem.

RC

Pretty easy to install, just pulled the seat and tank to route wires along existing harness, then just a 3 wire hookup, hot/backlight, ground, and coil, haven't had a chance to work with 5500 problem yet.

Has anyone thought about modifying an older DR650 tach to work on a new one? I see in the Ron Ayer's microfiche that the 95 and older DRs had a tach and speedo combined in one housing. I'd really like to have a tach on my bike.