Sign in to follow this  

CRF-X headlight on my wifes 230

Hi Guys,

I got a CRF-X headlight for my wifes CRF230. It seems like a lot of the riding we have been doing is in the later part of the day. So she needed a headlight for her bike. I know I have seen many of you use X headlights and I did a search but couldn't find the tread I was looking for. Someone posted a lot of pictures on how he hooked his up. Can you post those pictures again? Also how did you guys go about hooking up the wiring for yours? The plan is to add a switch to turn it on when she needs it. Did you just pull 2 wires off of the battery to do it?

Thanks!

This is ours

Bike

Headlight Closeup

Headlight Closeup 2

For the lower mount I made a base bracket with studs that attaches to the existing threaded nuberplate mounts. For the top mounts I made a couple L brackets that attach to the tripleclamp pinch bolts.

As for wiring, you can pull power directly from the battery to a switch, just make sure you add a fuse. Another way (better way, I think) is to pull power from the solid black wire in the connector bundle under the fuel tank. It is switched with the keyswitch and is fused via the stock fuse.

That's what I was looking for. Moleculo you did a real clean job with yours. With pulling off of the black wire have you had any issues with it sucking to much out of the battery? On the light is has a green, white and blue wire. What gets hooked up to each? Do you also have a better picture of the lower bracket?

The X headlight only pulls 35W which the stock 230 charging system can handle (except in sustained low RPM situations.) Any higher wattages than that require a stator rewind.

The green wire from the X headlight is ground. The other two wires are high & low beam but I don't know which is which (mine's converted to HID.)

I don't have any more photos of the base bracket but it's essentially just a piece of aluminum with two holes and two studs.

high & low beam? Why don't they use high & low beam switch the 250X if it has high and low? What did you use for a switch and where did you mount it?

The stock headlights on most popular US model offroad bikes have high/low capability, they're just not wired to utilize both filaments. KTM EXC's, Yamaha WR's & CRFX's are all like that. There's a dualsport version of each sold in other countries that do use both headlight beams.

I used the same handlebar mounted switch Baja Designs includes with their enduro lighting (not dualsport) kit. It has a high/low/off thumb switch & kill button. No turn signals or horn.

I'd like to make my 230 street legal... I heard it's around $350 for everything you need.