Sign in to follow this  

anyone take ttr to the track?

anyone take a modded ttr to a track. like a ttr with forks and stiffer shock and all. can it handle the jumps and all? i just got one and i wanna put some new forks and a shock on so my friends can have something to handle, or i can ride when my dad rides my yz 125. :thumbsup:

I take it every weekend. Don't forget about the BBR cradle. It can handle about any vet track around. It's super fun.

My son's old TTr 125L, ridden MX at the track, had BBR cradle, renthal bars, BBr triple clamp, and BBR springs frt and rear. Results- broken frame, 2 broken rear hubs, both rims so bent up that the tubes were sticking out, engine case broken from chain coming of, don't regularly jump a TTR, my son weighed less than 100#, was jumping at the highest maybe 4'-5' in the air. Mike

Ya, I have before, but with out stiffer springs in the forks, it still bottoms easily. But, yes, I do, and have. I really can't do much more than a kx65 though. Even those 65's have more than double horsepower than a ttr. So like on the tripple section, I can only double it. My track is really big, and has huge jumps. I'm sure there are many people who take their ttr's to the track just like me. Hey socal xr could you post a picture of your bike. Thanks

so if i was to buy some yz 80 forks and get a yz 80 shock do you think that would halp at all? i mean like, soak up most of the shock so i wouldnt have to worry about damaging alot?

Oh ya, Right now I have kx85 forks with stiffer springs, and thicker oil with a yz85 shock and Factory Connection stiffer spring, and It is great. I can jump off of a 3 foot jump in 5th and not even notice any harsh bottoming.

TTRs are not leapers, they are a cheap play/trail bike. Even with your fork and shock, you risk doing frame damage because it is pretty weak. Having inexperienced friends ride it at a track is a liability that a good friend would not risk.

My son's old TTr 125L, ridden MX at the track, had BBR cradle, renthal bars, BBr triple clamp, and BBR springs frt and rear. Results- broken frame, 2 broken rear hubs, both rims so bent up that the tubes were sticking out, engine case broken from chain coming of, don't regularly jump a TTR, my son weighed less than 100#, was jumping at the highest maybe 4'-5' in the air. Mike

What part of this post did not answer your question anyway :thumbsup:

Here's a pic:

2006_0716TTR0001.JPG

In order to take it to a decent MX track and not tear the bike to pieces, you need a few precautions and learn to ride as to not destroy the bike. Remember, factory guys have their own mechanics and an endless supply of parts so they can beat the crap out of them, because the next day it will be like new. The best thing you can do is suspension. If you can't get YZ85 suspension, at least get yours valved. A decent suspension guy can make stock work pretty good. Also, obviously get a cradle. And always, I mean always check your spokes. I didn't one day and I almost rode, but the spokes were so loose I went about few hundred yards when I realized something felt weird. So I stopped and spent an hour tightening them back up. If I were to blow it off, my wheel would have lasted about 1/2 day (maybe).

For riding, you need to pick smoother lines and for God's sake learn to back side jumps. If you case jump after jump, don't blame the Brazilian's because you can't ride. If you can't make the jump, learn to land on the front or rear wheel in order to soak up the landing. I'm not claiming I can ride better than anyone else or anything, I just notice a lot of people complaining about things that to me are normal to mini-bikes. Remember, these are a full blown yzf250 they are made to be ridden by a 90lb kid at a camp ground. If you want a real solution, get a 85/100cc two smoke or a BBR conversion.

well, i have a yz 125 that i race, so im not worried about picking bad lines or casing the jumps, id rather backside, and ill go balls out while jumping, no panzy sh*T here. i mean, i know the bike isnt ment for mx, but i just want it to play around on, and its quieter than my 2 stroke so i could ride behind my house w/o everyone bi******. i know its not silent, but its better. i can get yz 85 forks, or kx100 forks, so ill prolly get the 100's. as for shock i dont know what to do, anyone? o and my friends know how to ride, i dont let peopole ride my bikes if they dont know how becuase im 15 and i pay for all my bikes, so if something gets broken im the one who has to pay.

Get the YZ forks, they I'm pretty sure they are a shorter, which make the rear a less of pain. You can only put the so high in the clamp and mine are maxed out yz's. I'm getting my shock valved in a week or two, plus I have a TTR225 I want to try. The stock LE shock can be made to work real nice. Also, My rant wasn't toward you. It just seems a lot of people have been camplaining about their bikes lately.

yeah i built a track for mine...just dont go over you head with it and you wont have any problems...i built mine with like 30-35ft doubles and a few whoops sections...

Just got back a little bit ago, it was a blast. I battled with a slow guy on a yz250 most of the time.