Sign in to follow this  

Local Honda Dealer highly reccomends NOT using aftermarket Cleanable Oil Filters

they say they do not flow as well and come apart to easily, anyone know of or has had any problems with the scotts cleanable oil filter? Anyone not reccomend using it? Anyone reccommend using it, should I just go ahead and get one anyway?

I don't have one and have never heard anything bad about them, only good things. Maybe your local dealer doesn't want to loose their profit from their $10.00 filters??

I will be getting one soon!

haha 10 dollar profits... I was honestly thinking that may be it, but no I plan on going and getting one anyway I just want to make sure first that no one has had any problems as a result from this

I've been using the "Ready Racing" filter for over a year and have had no problems. It has more then paid for itself.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with stainless cleanable oil filters,I had 3 that I used for about 2 years,my only problem was that not matter how I cleaned them there was still embedded metal particles in them that could not be removed.I now use Hi Flo brand disposable filters,they are inexpensive and I change them every time and I feel much better,hope this helps.cheers

I second the hi-flo

I looked at the scotts but heard enough mixed reviews that I stayed with disposables. You can get 5 for like 18 bucks to your door through eGay.

I seen the dispoable ones on EBay I dont like the idea of buying a bunch of cheap filters and throwing them away everytime in the long run Im sure it will cost more moeny then the disposables....and Im not a enviromentalist freak but theres enough trash in the land fills as it is......stupid swiffers :thumbsup:

Ive always and will always use disposables....I dont like the thought of having to clean my oil filter everytime I change the oil....Id rather pull one out and throw a clean one in.

I like the thought of spending maybe 60 bucks once in stead of 10 bucks ever few oil changes wont take long to pay for itself and its suppose to only take a couple minutes to clean what so whats an extra few minutes for saving 10 bucks each time

I have reviewed this at length, what I discovered was this.

The scott's reusable oil filter allows alot of small particles through, and it is of low quality when compared to other race ready re-usable filters (you get what you pay for)

I feel alot better putting a disposable on my streetbike, knowing that no particles are just passing through it going round and round.

Ive researched the Scotts filter and most paper filter allow things as big as 95 microns through Scotts filters particles as small as 35 microns which is suppose to be crazy small like the ad say red blood cells are only 25 microns so I would think the Scotts filter would be up there with the better filters paper or not....what is one of the best reusable filters

paper filters do come in different levels of quality

there are paper filters that also filter to less than 20 microns

scott's is just trying to sell garbage

let me find a link that tests a bazillion oil filters, when i find it ill get back to you guys

Let me rephrase that last post, I heard Honda filters allow thing as big as 95 microns through unlike the scotts filter which filters partials down to 35 microns

Im not saying this is true but scotts claims that the same technology used to make there oil filters is used to make the oil filters used in Nascar and Formula one racing, not sure if this really means anything when it comes to dirtbikes but from what I understand about those sports are they are extremely demanding on quality hardware in there engine more then motocross