Sign in to follow this  

150 Counter Sprocket

I just took that counter sprocket cover off to clean some dirt out and the sprocket looks really worn and 1 of the teeth are broken off. The chain and rear sprocket are fine. What could of caused this? :thumbsup:

112_1253.jpg

P.S. This is also my first time posting a picture like this.

How long ago was the last time you checked the sprocket and was it brand new or used when you first checked it? Do you lubricate the chain properly and now that you see the front sprocket broken tooth and worn bad, it obviously should be replaced, they are about 20 bucks or so. It wouldn't be a bad idea to replace your chain once a year and your rear sprocket is relatively cheap to replace as well. You can get a kit from sidewinder or go to your local motorcycle shop and order your parts. I would stick to 520 chain, and get that long lasting rear sprocket from sidewinder and a new front tooth. Steel sprockets last a little longer than aluminum sprockets, but aluminum is lighter. The cost to replace aluminum sprockets in the long run vs. having a long lasting steel sprocket is a no brainer, go with steel unless you are racing and in this case performance parts are necessary. Since it needs to be replaced anyway you might as well experiment with different gearing on the front tooth gear you can go up or down one tooth. If you go down you will rev quicker and accelerate faster, if you go up you might a gain top end, and rev slower but probably won't wear the chain and gear out as fast.

This is the first time I checked the front sprocket. The bike was 4 hours away from me, so my cousin and his friend who knows alot about bikes checked it out, they thought it was good, so they bought it and my dad paid them. I don't know how the owner before me was with maintenance. I keep the chain well lubricated. I want to expirement with the gearing so what would you guys recomend? I basically ride open fields, trails, and some small hills. I don't ride motocross. Since I don't race motocross I'll stick with steel sprockets for durabilty.

I have a CRF230f and I do nothing but hill cliimbing and I bought my CRF230f brand new 4 months ago for hill climbing so I checked my front sprocket one day and I noticed holy shit I had only one tooth on my sprocket and the reason for this was i climb nothing but hills steep hills and what it does is when you are going up hill there is tension on the front sprocket and when you go to down shift all that tension is released on to the sprocket causing it to slip and grind your sprocket so I went out and bought a 13 tooth sunstar front sprocket which is made of a more qaulity metal than stock and it does 10 times better on the hillls. hope that helped

I was thinking more in the line of 14, 15(stock) or 16. Anyone have anything good to say about a steel 14 or 16??