Sign in to follow this  

2002 RM125 vs. 2001 YZ125 reliability

what is a more reliable bike a 2002 RM125 or a 2001 YZ125? I found a 2002 RM125 with Works suspension, gold excel rims, and a graphics kit for 1900 O.B.O and im thinking of buying it but I dont want it if I'm going to run into problems later on down the road. I also found a 2001 YZ125 stock for 2100$ what should I get?

The bike that doesn't look like it got the snot beat out of it.

I look for used bikes that are lightly ridden. I look for ones that look like they are nearly stock, not raced, and not covered with stickers. Owned for a while, but not ridden much.

My friend checked out a KTM that was $500 under the market price. He wasn't impressed, it looked like it was hauled inside a cement mixer. It was raced hard for 2 seasons, so the insides could be just as worn out. But just as bad is the squid that never does anything for the bike. Rust is a killer. And check the oil. Pass on a bike with black spooge in the tranny.

New plastic and new graphics are cheap compared to an engine or tranny rebuild. Are the new rims on the bike due to the cool factor or were the old rims beaten off the bike? Look at the cases and frame rails for wear, new plastic is cheap to add on and quickly makes the bike look newer. Loose bearings on the swingarm, wheels, and steering column.

Go look at both bikes.

I bought a 02 RM125 a couple of years ago and it was pretty beat up. I brought it home and cleaned it and put some plastics and a new stock pipe on it and it has been awesome. It was my 1st dirtbike and can say it ws a good choice. It has plenty of power, very light, handles great and and is almost industructable, except for handlebars. I think both both of those bikes are a pretty good choice and the prices sean resonable so get the one that you want.

wel i just bauoght a 03 rm 125 some months ago, for 2000 and am very happy, however if i knew what i know now, i might of shopped a little longer.

Clutch baskets and clutch needied replacing. not that big of a deal, but something to look out for. I love the two strokes 125 they are a blast to ride and so far working on them have been a total pleasure, check the compression as well. I also had to replace both sprockets, check to see if they are to pointy, or sharp. goodluck

dave mac

well..i had an 03 rm125 and it was a rad bike but the 01 and 02 rm's have tranny problems (not sure if the 02 does but i know the 01 does) go with the one that is the least beat up..both are good bikes for their years

I'd go with the YZ if both bikes were in similar condition. RM's seem to wear a lot faster then other bikes. They also have a very weak clutch.