Sign in to follow this  

Which used buy would you buy ? (CA)

New here guys, trying to find all the info I can through searches.

I'm in California and have been scared by all the used SM bikes saying "DMV is revoking my plates". They've mostly been husqvarna's and a post I read said its the red sticker bikes if I remember right.

Ideally I want a converted (SM) and street plated CRF450, but I haven't seen many around. Anything I shoud be on the look out for when buying used ? If I can't find that would you guys suggest buying....

1) DR650

2) DRZ400s

Not going to commuting on this bike, very short freeway runs to the hills. Its mostly going to be canyon carver. I have around $4,000 to spend so these would all be used bikes I purchase.

Thanks for any suggestions or things to avoid.

DRZ400 over the 650 any day. the DRZ has a way better aftermarket than the 650, and with some cash it can be made as punchy as a stock or mostly stock 650, mine feels pretty on par with my XR650R, and it can definitely be made to push out more ponies than a stock DR650.

if you're a HP junky, i'd suggest looking for a plated XR650R, although their lack of starter button can get painful at a toll booth, the bike freakin' rips. not good for shorties, but if you're hankerin' for lots of power with virtually no mods, it's a great bike. =)

good luck. check out this site i made for searching mutliple craigslist that can be very useful when looking for used bikes in CA...

http://www.crazedlist.org/

I don't know where you live, but I'm located on the central coast and there's a '99 Yamaha WR 400 in our "Photo Ad" with CA plates. It's been in there for a bit, so I'm sure you could get a pretty good deal on it. Then just get a supermoto set up, and you'll have the best of both worlds for right around $4000 (+/-). There was a plated 2001 XR650R in there with both sets and lots of mods, but it sold the first few days for $5900 (ouch!!!).

I just finished rebuilding and converting my plated '99 a few weeks ago, and it's the most fun I've ever had, in fact I'm wondering why I didn't do i earlier. I'm smoking my buddies crotch rockets through the corners, and killing all of the 400's and 650's I've come across. It wheelies for days and stops on a dime!!!

As for the bikes your asking about, they're good bikes, but there street legal from the factory, are fairly heavy (especially the 650), and take a lot of money after the purchase to bring them up to speed (check out the TT internet DRZ) . My cousin and uncle both have 650's with Pipes and Jet Kits, and I can't say that I'm very impressed. As for the 400 it's a good bike, but I ran into quite a few last weekend when I rode up the coast to Moto GP/Laguna Seca (like 140 miles), and even when they were giving it their all, they couldn't keep up.

If you don't mind changing your oil a little bit more, kickstarting it (mine starts first kick & it's a theft deterrent:), and doing your own conversion (which isn't that hard), then I would really consider taking this route. You won't be dissapointed, trust me, I know from experience,