Sign in to follow this  

Anyone racing in Ephraim on the 19th?

I am interested in racing the Hare Scramble in Ephraim on the 19th. I have never raced before and I am hoping to get some advice.

What things do I need to bring?

I will be riding my KTM 525 and if I can talk my nephew into riding he will be riding his CRF450x.

Is there anything that I need to do to my bike?

What Class would I race? I am 35.

This is something that I have been dreaming about and would like to get into.

Also I live up in Cache Valley, if any of you also live in Cache valley, do you belong to any clubs. They seem kind of sparse around here.

Thanks for the help.

I am planning on being there. You can race in the O-35 class and depending on your skill level there is novice, amature or expert. you have to have a spark arrester to compete. Other than that just make sure you run 14-16 psi in your tires. Good Luck! Also beware, you are about to start a bad habbit. LOL!

Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. I am sooo excited to give this a try.

I have been given the advice of just going out and finishing the race.

What do I have to do to register? What # will I have to run? Do I Have to have a specific color background on my bike?

Do you know how long the race is?

When you race do you carry water? Camelback?

Sorry for soo many questions, I just want to be prepared. Thanks Mark.

Idaho, glad to hear of your intrest in racing. I started racing last year, I am 33 now. I raced in the vet novice class (over 30 yrs.) and even competed in a WORCS race. Good fun. I race with a camelback full of water. The sanctions I have raced in have provided numbers for bike or helmet, depending on their scoring. Some will issue or rent you a transponder if that is the method of scoring they use.

Go out and have fun. :thumbsup:

Private-

I wanna race it too! I've done a good share of hare and hare&hounds in southern cal deserts, but not one up here. You got a link or any info on it? I'm also in Cache valley, we gotta meet for a ride on of these days! :thumbsup:

Mark,

Just show up a little early to the race. Depending on what class your in they will give u a colored pie plate with your initials on it for your race number and then u will duct tape them to your panels. I would for sure bring a camel back. Just go and ride hard and have a good time. Good luck. Corey

Private-

I wanna race it too! I've done a good share of hare and hare&hounds in southern cal deserts, but not one up here. You got a link or any info on it? I'm also in Cache valley, we gotta meet for a ride on of these days! :thumbsup:

I don't have much info on this race, a friend told me about it. He said that it was a new course on private ground. Which to me means a fun new course that is not miles and miles of whoops. I will for shure be there!

Dr,

A friend and I are trying to put together a ride on Thursday the 10th. I think we are planning on going up to Beaver and hitting the Highline trail. Let me know if your interested.

So the Highline trail IS the one out of Beaver....not to mixing up threads....

I work 'till 4pm, at USU.....prolly too late to get in a ride (not having a light), what time are you thinking? I may be able to take off a little early.

Guys....go to motoutah.com and click on the "Racing" link and there is a write-up I provided them that outlines all of the basics for Desert Racing. It should answer most all of your questions.

If you're racing the Novice class you'll need green backgrounds, and if you're in the Over 35 class you'll need the letter "P" in addition to a unique number. Don't worry about spending money on fancy number plate combinations....just get some green construction paper and packing tape and you're set.

The SageRiders are sponsoring this race...I just got the race flyer last week. I wish I could attend but will be out of town that weekend. It sounds like a ton of fun, particularly since it is new course which is almost unheard of. The SageRiders always do a great job!

Have fun on the Highline (I'm from North Ogden). I just rode there about 3 weeks ago and did an 80 mile loop from Beaver Mountain, north of the Paris Ice Caves and back. This past Saturday I did almost 100 miles in the Hobble Creek area east of Springville/Mapleton.....talk about a good time.