Sign in to follow this  

Metal in Oil. :-(

I changed my oil today and it had a good amount of metal in it. :thumbsup:

Bike has 970 miles and this is the third time I've changed the oil.

I found one flake that was almost a tenth of an inch long in the oil filter cavity. The sump's magnetic drain plug also had a fuzz of metal on it, but no large pieces.

The last two times I changed my oil, the magnetic plug had the same amount of metal on it, but no noticeable metal in the oil or filter.

Bike runs and sounds great. No noises, shifts smooth.

I'm hoping that this is just my clutch plates or something. Anyone have any ideas? Should I be worried?

There is usually a bit of metal in the oil, you have a pic we can see? Hard to imagine it from a written description.

When I changed the oil on my 2006 GSXR 750 after 20 miles I found some huge aluminum shavings. One of them was 5 mm long. I could not beleive all the crap that came out with the oil.

That' why it is a good idea to change your oil as soon as you bring the bike home. The oil is still new but there is a lot of metal left in the engine and you want to get these machining flakes out before they make their way all over your engine/filter.

Maybe it's one of these shavings that finally made it to your filter. With 970 miles I would not worry about it, especially if the bike performs/sounds OK and is still under warranty.

I tried taking pictures, but can't get it to show on camera.

When I did my first oil change (about 50 miles) there were some chips in the screen in the frame, but not any in the oil or filter cavity. There shouldn't have been any more metal after this oil change.

I haven't checked the screen, but I've never seen this many fine metal particles in the oil of a bike.

I enjoy wheelies and really hope this is just my clutch plates.

Screw it, I'm going riding. If it was going to break, it would've by now.

It's normal, wanna see something really disturbing ? Clean your oil screen filter at the bottom of the frame :thumbsup:

It's normal, wanna see something really disturbing ? Clean your oil screen filter at the bottom of the frame :thumbsup:

I must have been lucky, my frame screen had almost nothing.

Maybe change it again and see if there is less metal this time. I had that problem when I installed a new clutch cable and I didn't adjust it right -- the clutch was slipping and made the oil mucho dirty. Adjusted the cable right and a coupla oil changes later it was OK again.

How can you tell if your clutch is slipping? My shift lever has some free play at end(when released) so I'm guessing it's NOT partially engaging the clutch, but how can I know for sure?

How can you see shavings in your oil? My oil isn't transparent. :thumbsup:

No, but it is translucent. Lets some light through. Light reflects off of shiny aluminum. Therefore, you can see it. :ride:

its from the clutch basket.the shock springs in the back of the basket take a huge beating on the pavment.

Thanks Eddie, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I did manage to grind the plastic bolts holding my license plate off doing wheelies, so the clutch doesn't suprise me.

Are there any good replacements available that won't do this?

Ya, I cleaned it at 50 miles. Good gawd.

No, but it is translucent. Lets some light through. Light reflects off of shiny aluminum. Therefore, you can see it. :thumbsup:

Thanks Eddie, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I did manage to grind the plastic bolts holding my license plate off doing wheelies, so the clutch doesn't suprise me.

Are there any good replacements available that won't do this?

Moose Billet basket, re uses the OEM hub, but seems to hold up much better then the stock basket. Bigger HP numbers and really hard riding wears the stock basket.. Just is.