engine guard bolt does not come out. please help

trying to remove the right side plastic engine guard on a brand new 07 to install some new guards and the 10mm bolt just turns.... the seat is not seated into the frame I guess. any suggestions on how to get it out?

I saw this http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/projects/crf450/tech/techtips.html I guess the the 02's had the problem. but he doesn't suggest out to get out the original bolt.

thanks ahead.

You can try a couple things.....

An impact gun will usually spin the bolt fast enough to cause the insert to catch a little bit and eventually the bolt will come out.

Or....

Stick a screwdriver between the engine guard and frame, near the bolt, and apply pressure to the engine guard, as if you were trying to pry it off. At the same time start to loosen the bolt with a ratchet, the bolt should eventually come out.

I was lucky enough to have the same problem, I was putting on some carbon engine guards anyway so I cut the plastic off and staked the nut insert tight all good now. Its a pain to remove the plastic with side cutters but it worked. take your time it will work and just stake the nut in three places

I was lucky enough to have the same problem, I was putting on some carbon engine guards anyway so I cut the plastic off and staked the nut insert tight all good now. Its a pain to remove the plastic with side cutters but it worked. take your time it will work and just stake the nut in three places

What do you mean by "stake the nut" ?? I just happen to be having the same problem... (The nut is inside the frame, with no accesss from the rear).. ?

A huge thanks to marksman. He saved me on this one.

I had to cut the plastic guard off, then I pounded the shoulder of the rivet slightly with a hammer and flathead screwdriver to make a oppossing flat sides on the shoulder. Then I had enough room to use small needlenose pliers to hold the rivet and while I turned the bolt out.

I then 'staked the shoulder' by pounding a few dings up and inwards on the inside edge of the rivet. It is holding for now and my new guards are on.

Thanks to all.