Rear axle frozen on 2002 XR200.

I just went through this on my 99.

The axle was frozen in the brake hub.

I got it knocked out far enough to remove the wheel but it was still stuck in the brake hub .......... so i just wound up hitting the heck out of it till it drove out.

But im now looking for a new axle cause it mushroomed the end a bit and the nut stripped the axle when i put it back on. I couldnt even back it back off so i wound up cutting it off.

Maybe someone has some tips to not ruin the axle.

I first used a block of wood but it wasnt getting me anywhere.

If you have a lead hammer or something soft .......... try beating on it with that after squirting it good with penetrating oil.

I had a similar problem. I sprayed some penetrating oil all over and let it sit for a while. With the nut llose, but still covering the threads, I gave it a good whack with a ball peen hammer. The axle mover a little. I removed the nut, and used a rubber mallet to drive it flush with the swingarm, and then I used a "wonder bar" (flat crowbar) and pried it out.

After a good polishing and greasing, it doesn't stick anymore. Worst case, you bugger up the threads and have to buy a new axle.

Yeah I skrewed up my axle by beating the heck out of it to get it out. I ended up cutting about a quarter inch off of the threads, then I used a metal file to clean it up. You should probably spray some WD-40 in there, then put the nut on the very end of it, and hit that. When you get it flush with the hub, get a good tap, or skrewdriver, and beat that through. As soon as you get it out, spray it with WD-40 and wipe it clean, then give it a real good coating of grease.

Just finished doing it to both my XR200's. One is a 2000 the other was a 94. Spray the heck out of where it is seized and let it sit. Back the nut off until it is flush with the end of the axle threads that way you won't ruin the threads or mushroom the axle. I used a 5 lb mini sledge and layed the brake side on a vice and open the jaws just enough so the axle would pop through. Make sure that the lever and such is not resting on the vice or you could break them. It only took 2 hits after that. I was hitting it without putting it on the vice and the spokes were absorbing most of the force. I hope this helps and good luck.

• 4 years later...

I have dealt with some hopelessly stuck rear axles & even worse can be your swingarm pivot bolt. They seem to recieve even more neglect than the axle.

The most important thing to do is get the frame or swingarm on a solid platform. Lay the bike on its side with a railroad tie sized block of wood underneath of it as close to the axle as you can get it. You want every hit to count to minimize any damage. Also try to diagnose where it is siezed, this can help with your attack plan. A LITTLE heat on a frozen spacer does wonders. I have also had luck with a large slide hammer (pulling the axle out as opposed to pushing it out.) I have found the most effective way to move a siezed part is to strike with hammer while applying pressure -as in with a press.

Good luck with it!

tell me bout it. the swing arm pivot bolt is stuck too. i gave up on that but messed up the threads on the bolt trying to hammer it out. i just want to get the nut back on now. gonna have to try to clean up the threads with a die or something. the rear axle will be going in the oven later. we'll see how it goes.

Metric and SAE thread files are available, they are four sided and have four different threads on each end.

As others have posted I've been there with stuck axles and swing arm bolts. I built a tool for driving nails that were hard to reach with a hammer and tried it on a stuck swing arm bolt; it worked so good it is my favorite solution for stuck or seized bolts. I bought an air chisel from Harbor Freight designed to cut mufflers. I cut the blade off leaving only the shank, I then used a grinder to square the end and add a slight concave to help the tool stay centered on a nail. This thing provides 3000 blows minute and will drive out the most stubborn bolt without mushrooming the end. And being Harbor Freight the price was cheap.

AirChisel.jpg