Sign in to follow this  

Clutch side oil gray?? Losing coolant in radiator

Ok so when i got my bike (which was recently) i changed the oil and checked everything out..the clutch side oil was silvery...so i changed it and went out for a ride. After the ride i checked my coolant and i couldnt see any so i added some water. Then on my next ride i checked it and it was low again so i added more water. I ended up adding about two good size cups of water,then after a while of riding it was down again, what gives :thumbsup: Could I have a leak or what? Thanks for any help

your boiling the water out you need to add coolant, clutch oil is normal, the silver is a byproduct of the clutch plates. also what kind of riding are you doing..

I'd think the water pump seal is leaking/gone and leaking coolant into the transmission part. It's a common thing for some reason on Honda's. Is it coming out a little white or lots silver? I can see you boiling water yeah but I still think it's a strange coincidence loosing coolant and oil coming out grey possibly whitish?

is there anyway i can check the water pump for leaks? im going to check the valves so might as well while check it while its apart...The oil was all silver and i do mostly trails and sand pits..thanks

On my 03 450 the trans oil was always wipped up and slivery white in color. I was always changing it and stressing out weather I had a major problem or not untill I talked to a pro race mechanic. He drained the trans oil right in front of me on one of his race bikes. Damb! It was worse than mine, and it only had a good 1/2 hour race on it. Don't stress on the difference from motor and trans oil color, there is a huge difference

The mechanic said to measure the oil amount that comes out of your trans after use. If its more than you put in and your coolant is down then its pretty clear your water pump seal is needing attention.