Sign in to follow this  

Dynojet and valve adjustment on DR650

Every once in a while, things work out even for a sap like me. I got a new '06 DR650SE about 7 months ago. It has been running well, but it just didn't "feel" or "sound" right. Hard to explain, but it sounded dry and harsh, and just felt like it was strangled. The most frustrating thing was that it sounded like it was ready to shift from 4th to 5th gear at about 48mph, but it didn't have the strength to pull 5th gear until getting to about 58mph. I've been reading about Dynojet kits here on TT... and mostly about all the unsolvable problems people are having with them. But some people do OK so I took a chance and called Jesse. :cry: Got the DJ kit and also a 45-tooth rear sprocket; figured that ought to get some horses moving. Since the bike has 2500 miles on it and I was pulling the tank off anyway, I adjusted the valves (blew it off at 600, :ride: I know). Intake was OK at .004", but the exhaust was about .0065... I opened them up to .008". KFC, beer, & Red Man break. Didn't want to go hog wild with the main jet, so I put in the DJ-155, put the needle on the 4th notch, & installed an extended pilot screw backed out at 2 turns. Cut out the top of the box, and leaving the stock air filter and exhaust pipe. Buttoned it all back up and didn't have any scraps left over. Boys, when I cranked her up it didn't sound like the same engine! It had a nice mellow tone and none of that dry harshness. Hopped on for a road test and I must say that I'm pleased. :thumbsup: There are no pops, skips, misses, or anything; only more power. I can shift into 5th at 50mph and it pulls fine. Heck, it runs so good now, I'm reluctant to put the new sprocket on. Many thanks to all of you who posted useful information here. Applause to Jesse, too.

Glad to hear of your success.I opted to just Pull the snorkle,drill3 1in holes in top,shim needle .030,and out 2 turns on pilot screw, Sings like a bike should now. The darn thing tops out at 95mph(by the speedo anyways) on a 14 tooth front sprocket. :thumbsup:

The 1 down in the front or 3 up in the back really helps on those pine tree studded dirt twistys that Im in alot.

Well, I had the thing so I went ahead and put the 45-tooth rear sprocket on. Seems like it knocked off about 5 mph between gear changes (and the top end), but it really pulls effortlessly now. I romped on the throttle just to give it the inspection, and it shot up to 70 in no time. If I had it to do over again, I think I'd go with a 44-tooth rear. But anyway, this DR is a lot more pleasant to ride now. No more trouble with that 5th gear! :thumbsup:

Did the DJ with a 150 main (alt is 5000+) and put the new needle at #3. Turned the mixture screw at 2 turns, cut the air box and installed a K&N air filter per Jesse's recommendations. Tried to mount the Two Brothers exhaust, see posted message on 2 Bros exhaust....

Did noticed that if your kids are around, get them away from your work area. My 7 year old swapped the two throttle cables around, which makes you have to turn the throttle to the front of the bike to get the engine working. Very interesting in deed???? Problem fixed and now she runs like a real 650 should. No sprocket changes planned so far. I only have 450 miles on her so far.

DZSO