Sign in to follow this  

Decision: E or S? I still can't decide!

Ive been racking my brain trying to decide which one i want. This will be my first bike but i hope to do some local trails and hopefully soon do some nice long weekend trips.

I feel im leaning towards the S cause of the better gas mileage, and 87 gas, for those long distance trips i have planned.

Im looking at 2 bikes and have to come to a conclusion very shortly, The E is a 2000 and already has a street title but still needs blinker,mirrors, break light etc.... but is 600 less than the S im looking at. The S is an 03', has 1300 miles and is basicly all stock.

I have an E model and like it, not love it, but like it. I would hate the S.

What are your stats? You could try posting this in the DRZ 400 forum.

What do you mean the S takes lower octane rating gas?

I mean that the S uses 87 octane gas where as the E uses premium.

What kind of riding do you do on your E? How many miles do you get to the tank on your E?

And i did ask this in the DRZ 400 forum but thought i could get better answers here related to how the two bikes compare in terms of dual sporting.

Im guessing stats are height and weight and stuff...well im 5'10 and about 175 - 180

It really boils down to how easy it is to plate the bike in your state, and the type of riding your going to do.

If you plan on doing some serious off roading, the E is lighter and more powerful. If you are doing more casual off roading, the S is the ticket. Its a bit heavier, has all the junk you need for the road, and the S holds value a little bit better.

Of the two bikes you mentioned, I think the '03 s is the better deal.

I have decidcided to go with the S, ill post some pics as soon as i get it later on this week.

There is no reason to buy the E model because it is in the same weight class as my 650R or a WR450Fwith signifigantly less power/TQ, as far as offroading, the S makes more sense, the Carb better compensates for extreme elevation changes and it has a cooling fan, but if you live in an easy to plate state there are far better alternatives. The E model was nice when it had better suspension than the earlier S models but the S model has now cought up. The 400S is one of my favorite dualsports.

I have decidcided to go with the S, ill post some pics as soon as i get it later on this week.

Excellent choice! Congratulations.

I went back and forth so long on the E or S question that I just gave up and bought a Honda XR650R that had the BD quick release DS kit on it.

Shhhhweet.