Sign in to follow this  

dished piston difference.

I have a Honda tlr200 and i have to order a new oversize piston.

The bore and stoke is the same as the xr 200. The only difference in motors is the smaller valves on the tlr . The original piston has a flat top and the piston i need from wiseco has a slightly dished top with bigger cut outs for the xr valve clearance.

My question : Will the dished piston have a negative result on a already lower compression tlr motor ?

maybe the dish is to compensate for the extra diamter of the oversize piston ????

ym xr200r has a dome. That piston is how they control the compression. It will give you more power to go with a flattop or dome.

Do you want more power? Then swap out the head and cylinder for a xr200 one or 200x one or mix and match. The tlr has a different head, cylinder, tranny, ignition, and clutch cover. The tranny is OK becuase it's close ratio, but the heads the main slow part. It's been along time but I don't remember seeing a dish on a 200 piston, but I aways ran the 200x piston.

The dished piston is a 3-wheeler 200cc piston designed for lower compression for the pull starter. I use them in my trials engines in an effort to get a lower CR w/out compromising the squishband tolerance. The stock TLR piston should be a flat top. Clint

Thanks for all the answers. I ordered the piston kit anyway off ebay. I got it for less than half price. So hopefully it will work ok. I,m almost done with the project bike ( a street legal Honda reflex converted to a trials comp ready tlr.)

Just need to get the motor all back together.