Sign in to follow this  

Valve adjustment

Hello brother thumpers,

I'm new to the board and just bought (today) an '05 DR 650SE with 900miles on it for 3900.00 bucks. Its like new except for one thing, it has never been serviced.

It has been 15 years since I've owned a bike but somethings you don't forget!

Anyway, I've went through the oil change, chain & cable adjustment, hardware check, air filter check. Now I need to know if I should do the valve adjustment or take it to the dealer. I am comfortable doing the job if some one can give me the adjustment spec and a list of gaskets,seals and tools needed to complete. I have getting something apart and realize I need one little part to complete the task. I couldn't find a service quick.

Also I am making a goodie list of add-ons, who's got the best exhaust and prices?

The best thing you can get to help with the valve adjustment is a kit from www.kientech.com. It's $22.50. I don't think I could have done it with any other kind of feeler gages, and Jesse also adds another handy tool for the job. No need to take it to a dealer for this; it's not that tough to do yourself. FYI, the intake side should be .003 to .005, and the exhaust side should be .007 to .009.... and both valves on each side should be set as close to the same value within the limits. Don't forget to put it at TDC on the compression stroke first: remove the inspection plug and look through the hole... turn the crank counterclockwise until you see and center the "T" line in the hole.