Sign in to follow this  

general battery question with a short story.

Hi Folks,

I recently replaced a low battery in my DRZe, The battery had 11v static and quickly dropped to 5-ish during starting. Very hard, to needing a boost to start. Charging it did nothing. Thus the replacement.

Anyways, this thing was sitting on my bench and I noticed a cover on the top of it that looked like it could be removed with some persuasion. ( although it's supposedly a "sealed" battery). I took the cover off along with the rubber seals. I then got some distilled water and topped up the cells. A couple cells only took a few drops, but a few others took 3-5ml. Which is a fair amount given the size of the battery.

I gave it a couple hour trickle charge and the voltage got to 13.1. Highest it's even been and #'s equal to a new battery :thumbsup:

I never tried it in the bike but would you consider this now to be a good battery? I'll take a reading again tomorrow to see if it dropped any. If I get time I'll throw it in the bike and get a reading while starting.

Any thoughts?

Ken

I never tried it in the bike but would you consider this now to be a good battery? I'll take a reading again tomorrow to see if it dropped any. If I get time I'll throw it in the bike and get a reading while starting.

Any thoughts?

Ken

Certainly worth trying on the bike, let us know how it goes.

I don't suppose it will be like new, but if it reliably starts the bike in the warmer weather it is worth keeping.

Neil.

:thumbsup::ride::cry:

Was that 13.1 right after turning off the charger? If so then it is not quite what I'd like to see from a new battery in those same instances. Take a test a couple hours off and see then. No matter what I would consider that battery suspect at best, not to be trusted if riding alone in the middle of bfe.

13.1 about half hour after the charger was off. My thoughts are the capacitance or cranking amps would not hold up. :thumbsup:

I'll take more reading within the next day or so.

I won't throw it away just that's for sure. I''l keep it as a back-up and do voltage checks over the winter. It may get used in my lawn tractor....

Ken

This "add water" trick has been tried in the past with mixed success. Voltage is not the only measure of a battery. Cold cranking amps is the real test and life expectancy is unknown.

A story sort of the subject: A few weeks ago I was in Canada dual sporting with a friend. His bike (a Honda with a standard wet cell battery) became hard to start. We traced the problem to almost no water in the battery. We added water and it returned to normal. The next 2 days it worked perfect. When we got home (WA state) the Honda sat for 3 or 4 days. When he tried to start the bike after 3 or 4 days the battery was dead. Completely crapped out. Batteries don't like to go dry.

The voltage has now crept down to 11.9 even. So it doesn't look like it will hold up. As Noble mentioned doing this top up may indeed get you out of a jam for a couple days. But I wouldn't rely on it for too long.

I'll put a charger on it again in a few days just to see what happens.

Ken

I recently went through this on my Intruder street bike. Battery would go "green" on the battery tender but wouldn't start the bike. I was even wondering if it was something else. Took the battery with me to Batteries Plus and they just had a meter and it read 13.4 after being out of the bike for a couple of days. Had to go to another Batteries Plus to pick up the battery and they had a tester that tested for CCA. Mine should have been 230 CCA but it tested only 25 CCA. Deinately bad although it would charge to 13 volts and indicated fully charged.

I've always had problems with batteries in my bikes, boats, and others that are not used daily. If you don't have one get a battery tender type of charger and keep keep the battery charged and the battery life will be extented to the max possible. Any charger with low amp maintenance or "float" mode will do the job. This mode will allow you to leave the charger hooked up all the time without overcharging the battery.

You can get one from Wal Mart for under $20 (might be Black and Decker or Schumacher) and a Battery tender Jr for about $25-$30.