Sign in to follow this  

What four stroke on the market now is a good competitor to the 80cc two stroke

None in the displacement you mentioned. Currently, you'd have to spend tons of money to make a fourstroke 150 or 125 close to as fast as an 80cc race bike. So, none. Especially not production models.

My 10 year old son's KTM 65 SX absolutely blows away my wife's TTR 125, so you would need something a lot faster than the 125cc or 150cc four strokes to be competitive with an 80cc to 85cc two stroke. A 250cc four stroke in the trail bike line would still be slower, while a 250cc racing four stroke would be faster. I agree with the last guy, there is no direct competitor.

crf 230 is pretty close. the 80-85cc will start faster in 1st gear, but the 230 has a lot more low/middle end torque and will then pull away, the 80-85 will catch back up in the higher gears and be about even to finish in a drag race.

None in the displacement you mentioned. Currently, you'd have to spend tons of money to make a fourstroke 150 or 125 close to as fast as an 80cc race bike. So, none. Especially not production models.

Sad, but so so true! :thumbsup::ride:

my kx 80 kills my cousins crf150.. even his heavily modified 230 is prety close but my bike still tskes it at the end...

ok here i will get flamed for this but i was keeping up with an '86 yz 80 and i was keeping up until hey grabed 3rd and then i was in trouble lol and i was on an 125 pitbike also i was makeing way more noise and the reason i was keeping up was bcuz he couldnt keep it on the ground

None,, The OEM folks have not yet built a mini 4 stroke bike that is competitive with the better 2 stroke mins.. Not in suspension, brakes or motor. I had no other choice then to go with an 06 KX100 for my son, as the ONLY 4 stroke option other then a play bike, is a custom built, very expensive one off type deal... Now that he has outgrown the KX... We can go back to a thumper for him.

It will be interesting to see what the 85cc class goes to when they switch to 4-strokes.

http://www.bbrmotorsports.com/Products/Products.htm?370-BBR-1002.htm

I think this john can win but am not really sure. Pretty hefty price tag too. I've always looked up to this bike when I had my TTR125. :thumbsup:

BBR Aluminum Frame TT-R125 $8500 (base price, as shown $10,500.00)

TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS PLUS for a bike that a set up KX 100, or YZ 85 or CR85 can beat (equal rider) That is the reason I went 2 stroke...

Service Honda, puts a CRF250x engine into a CR85 frame and they call it a CRF250XJR.

http://www.servicehonda.com/junior.html

Yes another over priced option IMHO

$8,999 for a custom bike is not bad,, but why? when a $3,490 KX100 with a $60 flywheel weight will be just as capable, fun, reliable at a heck of a lot less $$$$$$.

To each his own,, and, if the price was better, I'd be looking at the BBR or Service option for my wife.... I know its more rider then bike.... but a lowered CRF230 is a handicap for any rider...

My 10 year old son's KTM 65 SX absolutely blows away my wife's TTR 125, so you would need something a lot faster than the 125cc or 150cc four strokes to be competitive with an 80cc to 85cc two stroke. A 250cc four stroke in the trail bike line would still be slower, while a 250cc racing four stroke would be faster. I agree with the last guy, there is no direct competitor.

Just the other night I was passed by a little kid on a SX65!!!! That little bastid was flying. Fearless..........Of course, I'm no motocross pro or anything, but I was moving at a decent clip. I had to laugh at myself when it happened :thumbsup:

Hay Bronco78, I agree the BBR or Service Honda are over priced. So when my son started riding the wheel off of his ttr125, I did the same as you. I went with the KX100, flywheel weight, IMS tank & kouba link (removed after about 6 months).

But the question was about a competitive 4 stroke, SO I would lean toward the CRF250XJR, since it's mainly Honda parts and would be easy to maintain.

Hay Bronco78, I agree the BBR or Service Honda are over priced. So when my son started riding the wheel off of his ttr125, I did the same as you. I went with the KX100, flywheel weight, IMS tank & kouba link (removed after about 6 months).

But the question was about a competitive 4 stroke, SO I would lean toward the CRF250XJR, since it's mainly Honda parts and would be easy to maintain.

except it's not competitive, as it can not be competed with,,or at least not in any of the classes or races my son and I have been in??? As an expensive play bike,, Man, I wish I had the disposable cash to by one :thumbsup:

crf 230 is pretty close. the 80-85cc will start faster in 1st gear, but the 230 has a lot more low/middle end torque and will then pull away, the 80-85 will catch back up in the higher gears and be about even to finish in a drag race.

are there really people who think the main purpose of dirtbikes is drag racing? you and that other guy both said pretty much the same thing. :thumbsup: