metal gas tank?

I'd like to dual-sport my 99' XR250. The only problem is getting a metal fuel tank. The early 1990's L model tanks do not fit on my bike. Anybody know where I could get a tank? Would it be too expensive to get someone to make one? I'm thinking about putting just any old tank (like from an old cruiser) on there to go to the DMV and then replacing it with the plastic one. I'm sure I could find some way to rig a tank up for temporary use. Honestly I don't think anyone would pay attention to it in my area.

Sreet legal requirment for S. Carolina:

Rear view mirror

Front and rear brakes

Handlebars no more that 15" above seat

headlight

tail light w/ brake light

DOT tires

horn

Metal tank, speedo and turn signals NOT required...

The local dealer here told me I needed a metal tank, but true to a typical salesman, he didn't know anything about anything except how to BS you...

I had also read the SC laws about no metal gas tank. But I've talked to people who had trouble at the DMV because they didn't have metal gas tanks. We can scratch this thread anyways because DMV gave me a no go on the XR being street legal. ?

Why??? What was thir reasoning??? I think your dealing with a stuck up person... I would try again..

Here in Mi. to make a bike street legal like that, all I had to do was put everything required on it, then get a form from the secretary of state/DMV and have a police officer come and check the bike and sign the form... Then I just brought the form back and got a title... Along with reciepts for all the stuff I bought to make it legal to prove I paid the tax on it...

Red why are you such a dick?

I think you misread my post. I think WA State laws are stupid. If you've ever heard the crazy things you got to do to get a plated bike in Washington you would agree. Sorry to anybody if you thought I was calling you stupid.