Moto and your health..

Does moto help keep you in shape? I dont really work out or train, other then ride motos but i feel like im in pretty good shape when i have to run or do physical activities, im just wondering if doing motos is a good form of exercise, and yes i know it gets you tired as hell but still..its differnt then lifting weights or running

Yea but have you seen how hard the moto guys train? lol that's probably why they rated so high. This is how many calories mx burns in different times...

# Minutes # Calories

1 - 4

5 - 21

10 - 41

20 - 83

30 - 124

40 - 165

50 - 207

60 - 248

Yea but have you seen how hard the moto guys train? lol that's probably why they rated so high. This is how many calories mx burns in different times...

# Minutes # Calories

1 - 4

5 - 21

10 - 41

20 - 83

30 - 124

40 - 165

50 - 207

60 - 248

I think that information is worthless. That could all change drastically with terrain/intensity etc.

Im not buyin that info at all...I can run on a treadmill for an hour and be fine but if I go all out on the track im utterly and completly maxed in just a few laps. Might just be that I suck at motocross, but my version is a damn good workout if I can just keep from puking after ?

yes motoing is a very aerobic just putting around mostly is not but if you want to ride the way motocross was meant to be you will have to learn how to ride 1st I mean learn the basics of MX riding proper body positions , grip the bike control set up and very important bike set up tunning motor and suspension . the most important part is the rider position and over gripping of the throttle this done correctly will keep you in the right position while riding not jumping note. motocross is a skill it is said there are 47 different learned tactics to learn while riding on a motocross track . so that should give you insite what to consider before you jump on a bike and try to fly around like a pro. if your just starting out you need to get the very basics 1st rider position.

I think that information is worthless. That could all change drastically with terrain/intensity etc.

That's worthless IMO, it depends how hard you ride, what your age, weight, size is, etc...

Like when I run, I run for 60 Minutes or 1 Hour, I burn average 1100 calories each day (5 days a week). If my friend runs next to me that long he only burns 800 calories, because he is skinnier...weight and speed play a huge part.

I ride pretty hard trying to manuever a 270lb bike over roots, berms, offcambers, jumps, etc. And I can say I'm in the worst shape of my life with just riding with intensity. During the winter when I work out seriously, I have bigger muscles, more definition, less BF, higher endurance, lower HR, etc. Sure, I sweat a lot wearing a helmet, goggs, chest protector, boots, gloves but it's no where near the intensity of a high school sport. Think about it, your only moving about a foot or two in any direction. Other sports, your moving around, take football for example, that sport has a lot more actual motion involved. I have before and after pics of during wrestling season and during riding season(summer, spring, fall) and the after pics aren't pretty.

But one good effect from riding is that my forearms have become stronger. ?

I ride pretty hard trying to manuever a 270lb bike over roots, berms, offcambers, jumps, etc. And I can say I'm in the worst shape of my life with just riding with intensity. During the winter when I work out seriously, I have bigger muscles, more definition, less BF, higher endurance, lower HR, etc. Sure, I sweat a lot wearing a helmet, goggs, chest protector, boots, gloves but it's no where near the intensity of a high school sport. Think about it, your only moving about a foot or two in any direction. Other sports, your moving around, take football for example, that sport has a lot more actual motion involved. I have before and after pics of during wrestling season and during riding season(summer, spring, fall) and the after pics aren't pretty.

But one good effect from riding is that my forearms have become stronger. :ride:

yah, but your probably dont ride very hard AT ALL! We are talking about motocrossers that hit the track a few times a week and ride hard for 3-4-5 hours ?

Riding will not get you into shape. Have you seen Travis Pastrana's house? Full gym inside that puppy. RC rides roadbikes and works out aswell as every other racer, hell the pros have stationary bikes in the pits at races. If you guys are getting that tired from riding you're doing something wrong because I never get that tired even after two motos in a row, my mouth might get dry but that's it. Same with the pros, when they are being interviewed they are hardly tired and that's because they train off the bike and ride with the proper techniques.

MX keeps your heart rate up and fatigues your muscles, that is working out my friend. Granted, to really be in shape for any sport, you should make sure to do some cardio and do a few reps of weights, but riding MX will keep you from being a fat arse. I've done all kinds of sports in high school, and MX is the hardest sport I have ever done mentally and physically. Holding onto a 50 horsepower machine while fatigued is not an easy task.

I guess it depends on the person. But i can asure you, I ride pretty damn hard, I've never seen anyone ride a DRZ harder. I also ride it everyday for about 1 hr to1.5 hrs, arm pump is a thing of the imagination. Most of the workouts I do for wrestling also transfer perfectly to riding a bike. There's so many similarities I couldn't even name them all. It doesn't take much strength to ride a bike though compared to other sports, but that might be BS, b/c I've never ridden a racing 450. :whatever: I always try to ride smoothly not bang it, then brake lside it, then drop the clutch into the next str8. I try to be fluid on the bike, not tired after riding, just a little sweaty.

The most mental and physically demanding sport can be almost any sport. For the guys who are hardcore wrestlers or footbal players, that is the most demanding sport because that is what they try the hardest at, they devote more time and energy to that one sport than any other sport. For me MX is the most demanding sport because I put more energy, time, and training into it than anything else. I've done other sports before but they were not as demanding for me because i really didn't care about it, I didn't try that hard, it wasn't more import than mx. The most demanding sport is whatever an athlete trys the hardest at, as long as its not bowling or ping pong or something...

ive heard that all james stewart really does is ride. no other training or exercise. but then again, he is riding way f ing hard.

dont believe everything you hear. if ur referring to TGO im pretty sure he was joking. i remember back in the day if he fell during a practice he would have to finish it on foot. not sure if thats true either but I had pretty reliable sources.