Sign in to follow this  

Oil level check screw on '06 TE510?

When checking the oil level after changing it this week on my '06 TE510 the threads came out with the screw.

I called around a number of places in San Diego looking for a source for a Time-Sert kit to repair the threads but no one I called carries them. A number of places did have Heli-Coil or Perma-Coil kits but after comparing them I think I'd rather go with a Time-Sert kit.

Has anyone else had problems with the threads in the case for the oil level check screw?

And, does anyone have a source in San Diego for Time-Serts? Or, I guess, an online/mail order source that they recommend would be good to know too.

Thanks,

Daryl

Mate Im sorry to hear it. I learnt my lesson before it happened. So many posts here in this forum about the problem, I since have never taken the screw out. I just add the exact amount of oil as stated in the specs.

I know this does not really help you now but it will later.

Thanks Brett,

I'll give them a ring today or Monday.

I was hoping I'd be able to get the screw to seal on Friday but no joy.

Are there any other bits of scheduled maintenance items on the bike that are problematic that I don't know about ?

is there a way to put a glass eye instead of the screw?

I have been thinking the same thing. Anyone know if the crank case is pressurized (probably not) or if there may be a clearance issue?

Funny,

The Ad link at the bottom of the page as I was reading the thread was for TIMESERT.com :thumbsup: I wonder if there's an ad bot reading the threads . . .

As big as the piston is, the crankcase is probably pressurized to some degree by the piston displacing air on the down stroke.

The photo in the parts manual does show a built up area around the hole for the screw but I don't know that it's large enough to put in a window of meaningful size.

I'm used to bike with a window or at least a dipstick. Seems strange that Husky would make the oil checking mechanism so fragile - not to mention a bit messy. I wonder if the '07s will use the same oil level check screw?

I would imagine if you really wanted to, you could have a machinist, machine a rod of Lexan to the proper size, but first I'd drill out the hole to a larger size, then retap, thread in the machined Lexan window with thread sealer & Voila, ya gotz ureself an oil window :ride:

So um anyone think it's do-able??? :thumbsup: