Sign in to follow this  

KDX tailight

I went to do some night riding tonight and when i turned on my lights my tailight isn't working. My bikes only 3 weeks old and i've maybe used the lights 15-20 minutes. I checked the bulb and it looks fine, not blackened or anything. The headlight is working fine. Any ideas what the problem could be? :thumbsup:

did you check the connector under your fender? Trace the wire out of the tail light till you find the rubber connector, It may be around the airbox lid also, it's been awhile since mine's been hooked up so I don't remember exactly where it connects. Make sure it's snug in the reciever thingy attached to the main wire...sorry, don't know the technical term for that thing.

did you check the connector under your fender? Trace the wire out of the tail light till you find the rubber connector, It may be around the airbox lid also, it's been awhile since mine's been hooked up so I don't remember exactly where it connects. Make sure it's snug in the reciever thingy attached to the main wire...sorry, don't know the technical term for that thing.

I did follow it under the fender until it went up under the seat. The wire was snug and there was one spot where it looked like it might be "pinched" but i don't know if that would cause it. I'll look closer at it tomorrow and hopefully i'll find out what the problem is. It sucks cause this was the first time i was gonna go out at night. I still could have road with the headlight but when i saw the tail light wasn't working got pretty PO'd.

Look close at the filament. I gave up on the stock bulb. Put in an led bulb, no more problem.

Look close at the filament. I gave up on the stock bulb. Put in an led bulb, no more problem.

It must be the bulb cause i can't find anywhere, or anything that could cause it to stop working. Where did you get an LED bulb from?

My bike is still under the 30 day warranty so if it isn't the bulb i'll see what the deal is. It really wouldn't bother me if i had the bike say for more then a month. But it'll be 3 weeks this Tuesday so i expected another week and a half before something went wrong. I'm hoping it's just the bulb. I haven't dropped the bike or anything so i can't figure out what else it would be. The only thing i noticed is there is a ton of vibration on the rear fender which might cause some problems. I was suppose to ride over my friends house which is about a mile and 1/2 away. I could chance it with it just the headlight but without a taillight i'll stick out like a sore thumb. The one time i actually need the taillight to work and it doesn't, somethings never fail to amaze me. :thumbsup:

mines a 06 i ve had it for two months an i need to put in another tail light, my third one

mines a 06 i ve had it for two months an i need to put in another tail light, my third one

Are you talking about the entire tail light system or just the bulb?

I have a buddy with an 06 having the same problem. per his 30 day warranty he took it back 3 times and they kept telling him it was the bulb.. then.. vuahla.. the problem STILL wasnt fixed and the warranty was up. my 01 is having an issue where the headlight is very dim.. until you rev it hard.. then the tail goes out and the HL comes bright.. then when it idles the head goes dim and the tail comes back on.. i dont get it.. and im no electrical wizzard..

kinda pissed too..cause i love night riding..

BM

I have a buddy with an 06 having the same problem. per his 30 day warranty he took it back 3 times and they kept telling him it was the bulb.. then.. vuahla.. the problem STILL wasnt fixed and the warranty was up. my 01 is having an issue where the headlight is very dim.. until you rev it hard.. then the tail goes out and the HL comes bright.. then when it idles the head goes dim and the tail comes back on.. i dont get it.. and im no electrical wizzard..

kinda pissed too..cause i love night riding..

BM

That sounds like a stator problem. It seems that Kawi didn't put a large enough one in to support the electrical system, almost like running a large sound system in a car with an 90 amp alternator. I'm going to look into this further and see what i can come up with. If it is the stator what would it run to replace it? Is it the small black box directly under the seat?

Are you talking about the entire tail light system or just the bulb?

i was just talking about the tail light....

The light is going to dim under less voltage. The RPM's are what give it more voltage. If you want it to be bright all the time for night riding...

1. Go buy a tank with a battery to power the lights at a consistant voltage.

2. www.rickystator.com

The stator is NOT the black box under the seat. That is the voltage regulator.

The taillight bulbs don't last long with off-road riding, so get a red 1156 LED.

Does the KDX need a voltage converter to DC for LED's?

Does the KDX need a voltage converter to DC for LED's?

No, I've had a LED tail light since my first ride and it's still going since last year. The old style filament bulbs can't take the abuse from the vibration/jarring the rear fender gets.

Don't any of you guys know how to use a multi-meter? Just start with checking the bulb for continuity. If it's good, check to see if it is getting juice. If there is no current flow at the tail light, trace the wiring back to the point where the current flow is OK, and you've found the problem.