Sign in to follow this  

Bike hard to put into neutral was running sitting still. causes?

**EDIT** title should say "while running" not "was running".

Hey guys,

I'm having problems putting my bike into neutral when its running and im just sitting there in gear holding the the clutch.

However, my bike goes into neutral easy when the bike isnt running (just siting there) and while is rolling to a stop, but as i said if I try to put it into neutral while its in gear with the clutch in while I'm stopped it doesnt want to go into neutral.

It didnt seem to do this before, so I'm wondering if you guys knew what caused this?

Thanks,Dave.

Clutch out of adjustment or maybe grooved clutch basket.

My clutch is adjusted fine, even if I turn the dial to allow no free play on the lever it still doesnt want to go into neutral while running sitting still.

So, as you said, I guess I'll have to pull apart my clutch basket to find out. I've never opened one up before so it will be a learning experience.

pretty simple really just follow the manual. You are looking for "teeth" on the fingers of the clutch basket that would catch the plates not allowing them to disengage even if the clutch is pulled. Basically the plate moves out when you pull the clutch but the plates are stuck together because of the grooves. You might be able to see them without disassembling the basket but its easier to get a guage on how bad it is if you pull the while thing apart.

What year is it and how many miles/hours have you put on the clutch?

I always found it harder to put it in neutral when bike was running, i think it's just cause the clutch is grabbing a little bit, i find a little rock back and forward will help.

pretty simple really just follow the manual. You are looking for "teeth" on the fingers of the clutch basket that would catch the plates not allowing them to disengage even if the clutch is pulled. Basically the plate moves out when you pull the clutch but the plates are stuck together because of the grooves. You might be able to see them without disassembling the basket but its easier to get a guage on how bad it is if you pull the while thing apart.

What year is it and how many miles/hours have you put on the clutch?

Bike is an 05 with about 35 hours.

Your clutch basket should be fine. Don't know how you ride so mayabe clutch plates...but It might just be touch. I had a bike that was a bear to put in nuetral until it was warmed up. Have you switched oil types on the tranny side recently? some say the honda red makes it shift better.

What have you changed, if anything, for the 10 hours or so before the problem started?

Your clutch basket should be fine. Don't know how you ride so mayabe clutch plates...but It might just be touch. I had a bike that was a bear to put in nuetral until it was warmed up. Have you switched oil types on the tranny side recently? some say the honda red makes it shift better.

What have you changed, if anything, for the 10 hours or so before the problem started?

Nah its not touch, I would go into neutral fine before. Like I said, it will easily go into neutral when the gnine isnt running and its sitting still and also when its running but im rolling on the bike.

However, my engine was just rebuilt by the local dealer because my connecting rod snapped and blew a hole through my cases, they said my tranny was fine but maybe they messed somthing up when putting it back together? Im not sure.

I changed my tranny oil last night (been using the same type since i got the bike with no issues untill after this rebuild) and went for a ride and still no difference.

So, if my cable is adjusted to its max with no free play and new tranny oil (and yes I didnt use the check bolt hole, I added more) my plates have to be finished or somthing, I have no idea what else it could be. Mind you, I'm not clutch expert either.

Nah its not touch, I would go into neutral fine before. Like I said, it will easily go into neutral when the gnine isnt running and its sitting still and also when its running but im rolling on the bike.

However, my engine was just rebuilt by the local dealer because my connecting rod snapped and blew a hole through my cases, they said my tranny was fine but maybe they messed somthing up when putting it back together? Im not sure.

I changed my tranny oil last night (been using the same type since i got the bike with no issues untill after this rebuild) and went for a ride and still no difference.

So, if my cable is adjusted to its max with no free play and new tranny oil (and yes I didnt use the check bolt hole, I added more) my plates have to be finished or somthing, I have no idea what else it could be. Mind you, I'm not clutch expert either.

Local dealer just rebuilt your motor was a small detail you left out in your original post. Obviously if it was easier to get in neutral while running and now it's not, something changed on the rebuild. There are alot of parts involved in putting the gears, shift forks, etc., back properly. If it's shifting properly and the only issue you are having is getting it into neutral while it's running, I wouldn't sweat it. Alot of guys on here will tell you their bikes do the same thing. I've got an '04 and '05 and have never had an issue getting into neutral while running, just lucky I guess.

**EDIT** title should say "while running" not "was running".

Hey guys,

I'm having problems putting my bike into neutral when its running and im just sitting there in gear holding the the clutch.

However, my bike goes into neutral easy when the bike isnt running (just siting there) and while is rolling to a stop, but as i said if I try to put it into neutral while its in gear with the clutch in while I'm stopped it doesnt want to go into neutral.

It didnt seem to do this before, so I'm wondering if you guys knew what caused this?

sounds normal to me. how many peaple wait till there stopped to click neutral? you probably always clicked neutral before you stopped,now you are just worried. ROOST ON :thumbsup:

just blip the throttle a bit while exerting upward pressure on the shift lever, works great for me, same effect as rocking the bike I guess.

I recently installed a MCCT and everything went smoothly. After riding it for a few days I noticed it's difficult to shift into nuetral now. Before the install, shifting into nuetral was not a problem. Could the MCCT be too tight or do you suspect a different problem? Any in site would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Had a similiar shifting into neutral problem on an older bike. Something I learned the hardway - When reinstalling the shift drum/shifter mechanism, the 2 small lugs that ride inside the shift drum only go in 1 way. The inside of them has machined flats for the spring loaded bias lugs and they are offset from the centerline.

I can't remember if they should be installed with the offset facing inwards or outwards, but the picture in the service manual clearly shows them correctly.