Sign in to follow this  

After 2nd gear it is done shifting

1996 DR 350. A couple of weeks ago my DR started making what I would describe as a "scraping sound". When I pulled in the clutch the "scraping sound" would stop. I checked the clutch and everything was in order. Rather quickly the bike stopped shifting above second gear. The shifter feels vague above second. Took it to dealer and he told me the bike was too old to have him fix it (cost verses bike worth). He told me I should give it a go myself. I have changed out the clutch on it and other maintenance items. I do have the factory repair manual. Can someone please give me advise on where to start and what to look for. Any and all thoughts appreciated and considered. Regards, Steele

Looks like a good Resource. Thank You.

If anyone else has any ideas; I am exploring all options.

Regards, Steele

Umm thus might work. I have a sp250 and they are about the same. The shift lever is connected to a shaft that goes through the cases and to a gear that goes into the cases. That might have jumped a tooth. Have you dropped the bike? Done any work on/to it?

Sounds like you have not gone into the transmission yet. I think you're going to find worn or broken shifter forks. Or there was a note on one site I saw some time back about some bolt or pin on one of the shift forks that comes loose and the fork just floats rather than shifts properly after that. Either way your trouble is most likey not the clutch, it's inside the gearbox area or in the shift drum linkages just behind the clutch bell.