Sign in to follow this  

Anyone have a valve checking thread bookmarked?

I'm getting concerned that I haven't checked my valves in 5,000 miles.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I have the mechanical aptitute to do it. From some other posts it sounds like I have to remove lots of parts. My extent of tinkereing is changing the oil and installing handguards and LED lights on my bike. I had to get help to do the FCR swap....

Even the MCCT sounds intimidating after reading losts of posts about it. I just can't afford to be without my bike for one day so I don't want to mess it up (probably even more reason why I should do it I suppose?)

Is there a bookmarked thread that somone can pass on that outlines how to check the valves real well for a rookie tinkerer? Pictures are even better!!

The search function isn't working right now it appears.

Thanks a bunch!

I don't think I have one but was wondering where in washington you are? I live in corvallis and am willing to lend a hand if needed.

I'm waay up near Bellingham. Bummer. My bikes running fine but when I read that Eddie says to check them often, it gets me thinking that I better put it off no longer.

OK so I guess I lied,,,

Go here :thumbsup:

Thats a great start (wish the pictures were bigger).

Is the TDC mark obvious?

How long does the job take if you were taking it slow? A couple hours?

Do I need new gaskets or anything when I put the valve cover back on?

Thx

Yes the mark is obvious

First time can be done in a couple of hours at the most.

No new gaskets needed, reuse the valve cover gasket and don't worry about putting the silicon in the corners of the half moons.

Do you have a service manual?

I have an electronic manual for an 2001 S (mine's a 2005 SM).

The manual says to drain the oil when checking the tappets - I suppose most check thier valves every oil change then?

I check mine every other oil change or so but some don't ever check it or do so at 11,000 miles like suzuki recommends for the S :thumbsup:

The manual you have will cover the engine with the exception of the acct, which I highly recommend replacing with the mcct. It really is not a big deal to swap them out.

I have an electronic manual for an 2001 S (mine's a 2005 SM).

The manual says to drain the oil when checking the tappets - I suppose most check thier valves every oil change then?

If the motor has run in the last few days,no need to drain the oil.. If it has not,,, you will get some oil spill if you remove the crank access plug, not much but some. BUT you do not even need to remove that plug,, only the timing mark one. Put the bike in 5th gear and use the rear wheel to turn the motor over till the mark lines up.

Valve check video in Quick Time movie

It will also show you how to reshim your DRZ (WRF it is in this case I believe, but everything is mirrored to the other side of the bike, but you'll figure it out).

The WRF also has the shim under bucket?

Does this help?

Noppy