Sign in to follow this  

How do I get this seat on?

Just got my SDG tall seat for my 04 today. I can't get it lined up with my bolt marks! I know some of you put these seats on your bike and they don't line up right, so how the heck did you make it fit. The only way I can get it lined up is to not latch it underneath the airbox and just latch it on the front tank. Thats not good thought because it doesn't keep the airbox airtight. Please help before I send this seat back. I also have Hot wheels graphics and seat cover and love the way the seat cover I have feels and looks. Should that cover fit the new seat? Please help.

The seats from SDG can be hit and miss sometimes. Some fit, others don't.

One thing you can try is either file the piece under the seat that slides into the subframe, or what I did on my '02 was take a crescent wrench and adjust it to fit the tangs on the subframe where the seat slides into it. Bend the tangs very slightly....that will allow the seat to slide in all the way and the bolts will line up. Take a look at the subframe and the bottom of the seat and you'll see what I'm talking about.

For what you pay for those they should not be a hit or miss type of product.

I have been hearing that for years about those seats.

:thumbsup: Why not call them up and demand the shipping be paid for and one sent that fits correctly?

They are a complete POS seat.

Their entire design is flawed.

Send it back - they wreck your bike and plastics with their unwanted feature of replaceable brackets - what next coulured seat bases we dont want????!!!

I am not going to screw with the subframe. I am just going to take the cover off and foam off the new base and put it on the OEM one, and then I will have a tall seat and a cover that I already like that matches my graphics. It looks like the seat cover should fit with the tall foam. I have the Hot Wheels graphics and seat cover. Guess I will do that tonight. Got a staple gun to do it all. This way I have the stock base just with new foam and the seat cover i already like on it.

I am just going to take the cover off and foam off the new base and put it on the OEM one....

That's exactly what I did with my SDG seat. I ended up with a nice tall seat that fits correctly.

I purchased an SDG seat too and found that it didn't line up EASILY.

But that didn't stop me from using a little elbow grease to get it to line up. A philips screwdriver of the correct diameter got it close, then I just held it and got the bolts in.

After about two weeks it went on without any effort to line it up.

You people are whiners. :thumbsup:

But that didn't stop me from using a little elbow grease to get it to line up. A philips screwdriver of the correct diameter got it close, then I just held it and got the bolts in.

Not whiners.

We just expect quality - you clearly dont.

any seat that you buy new that eats the rear guard, sits 15mm out of whack and doesnt line up without a 30 ton press pushing everthign the right way is quite friankly a pos.

even when you do get it on it looks hideous. So out of line its not funny

Exactly!! ..............and if there were more like us that complained to them, by now they would fit right and stearns86 would not be having the problems he has.

I ended up spending $90 for seat foam is what happened. I liked the aftermarket cover I had, but this seemed "easier", just a bolt on add on. Well I was wrong. I am not going to bend, push, etc. to get a stupid $90 seat on my bike. Well tonight I spent 1 1/2 hours taking the seat cover off the new seat, taking the seat cover off my OEM seat, pulling off both foams, and putting the tall foam on my OEM seat. Then I put my aftermarket cover that I got with my graphics on the new tall foam on my OEM base(the N style seat cover from my Hot wheels graphics was a tight fit but looks better) and now I have a tall seat. What sucks is I could have saved myself $40 and just got the foam, but expected a "bolt on" product. From what I have read on here in the search forum SDG really doesn't do much and I wanted the darn foam on my bike so I just went ahead and did it myself because I have no patience anyways. Well I will just not recommend that "package" to anyone and recommend for someone to just get the foam and do it yourself. Its not whining, its when you pay for "convienence" you expect it, thats why I payed extra for it. Instead I just ended up doing it myself.

I ended up spending $90 for seat foam is what happened. I liked the aftermarket cover I had, but this seemed "easier", just a bolt on add on. Well I was wrong. I am not going to bend, push, etc. to get a stupid $90 seat on my bike. Well tonight I spent 1 1/2 hours taking the seat cover off the new seat, taking the seat cover off my OEM seat, pulling off both foams, and putting the tall foam on my OEM seat. Then I put my aftermarket cover that I got with my graphics on the new tall foam on my OEM base(the N style seat cover from my Hot wheels graphics was a tight fit but looks better) and now I have a tall seat. What sucks is I could have saved myself $40 and just got the foam, but expected a "bolt on" product. From what I have read on here in the search forum SDG really doesn't do much and I wanted the darn foam on my bike so I just went ahead and did it myself because I have no patience anyways. Well I will just not recommend that "package" to anyone and recommend for someone to just get the foam and do it yourself. Its not whining, its when you pay for "convienence" you expect it, thats why I payed extra for it. Instead I just ended up doing it myself.

Preeeecisley!!!!

Imagine if tyre companies made their tyres 15-20mm out of diameter all the time???

SDG know the problem - they're just lazy.

Tell me who needs replacement brackets? No one. SDG should completely redesign and make a owm replacement seat that fits properley.