Sign in to follow this  

MXA & Kawasaki

Seems like alot of you don't think very highly of MXA, probably because of how they rated the Kawasaki 450 this year, but why did Kawasaki make changes to the 07 that address the exact same issues that MXA had with the 06 model???? Wonder if the R&D dept at Kawasaki read MXA?

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion especially Mag editors and test riders, But you have to admit they really ripped the bike. And its odd that other tests and shootouts raved about it. (Transworld had the best shootout but that just my opinion). The only major flaw that Ive experienced with the bike is its rear valving, nothing that a simple revalve will fix. I love the 4 speed, and the bike turns and handles great! The 07 will just be closer to a green CRF, and thats what some people want. I'll be on my 4 speed 06 for another season of moto, Maybe in 08 when FI hit it will be time to change.

Seems like alot of you don't think very highly of MXA, probably because of how they rated the Kawasaki 450 this year
I don't think very highly of MXA because they are so often wrong in their technical "explanations", and yet they treat their readers as if their word is the bible and all of their readers are stupid. I find their tests to be highly biased and narrow-minded, and they seem to evaluate bikes as if the potential customers are all pro-level racers, when in fact, the vast majority of riders are not even racers at all, just average guys that want to have fun.

I have disliked MXA a lot longer than I have owned the 450. They have had biased shootouts for years, rendering their opinions completely useless. Makes no difference to me if the pick the KXF first or last, their opinion would be worthless either way.

In my opinion, MXA is the only magazine that tells it like it is. The changes Kawasaki made to the 07 450, if implemented correctly, proves that MXA knows what they're saying when they test motorcycles. Magazine tests are a source of feedback to the factories, & when a bike gets an unfavorable test, the factories stand to attention & address the problems. We should be thanking MXA for their test of the 06 KX 450F because it just may have helped make the 07 a better bike.

They said it was one of the worst bikes ever made. The said suspension sucked, the motor sucked and the only fun thing about it was the unstable powerband

Thats alittle harsh, i have ridden the honda 450, the power is good, even with the 5spd but it felt cramp and im only 5'9 the pegs are too close to the seat to me. everything else was good. But i choose my bike, i rode yzf250f and 426's but thats all i had to compare to yzf's

Its all about oppinion, but what htey said was total bs.

In my opinion, MXA is the only magazine that tells it like it is. The changes Kawasaki made to the 07 450, if implemented correctly, proves that MXA knows what they're saying when they test motorcycles. Magazine tests are a source of feedback to the factories, & when a bike gets an unfavorable test, the factories stand to attention & address the problems. We should be thanking MXA for their test of the 06 KX 450F because it just may have helped make the 07 a better bike.

i think the factories go more on what the race teams research shows.like what the kawasaki race team,team green,pro circuit,arenacross and gncc teams come up with.not some washed up motorcrosser from the eighties or overweight test riders opinions.they go by long term r&d testing not a one day joy ride at a socal track.

not some washed up motorcrosser from the eighties or overweight test riders opinions.

Hey, I resemble that remark!!!

...not some washed up motorcrosser from the eighties or overweight test riders opinions.they go by long term r&d testing not a one day joy ride at a socal track.

For one thing...it's called "motocrosser", not motorcrosser" & another thing..MXA test riders aren't overweight & they test the bikes over months, not a one day joy ride at a local track. Also, MXA never said the bikes motor was bad at all, just the handling, suspension & gearbox.

u havent said what u ride,best i can tell its a yamabog.no wonder u suckoff motocock action. thats their favorite bike for years.u dont see dirt rider or transworld talkin smack bout the kawi.seems like the yami was a 4 speed till this year and they used to talk about the wide gaps between the gears.maybe yamaha changed to a 5 speed because of the mighty mxa's influence over the entire MOTOCROSS community.dont think so.i used to think mxa was the best mag till i realized they were one sided.

WOW-- you guys are really getting worked up AGAIN. We had this same debate last year.... Its time to let it GO---- Us green guys know what we have-- Put your gear on and do some roosting, it will all be clear.....

I like my kxf but MXA bike tests are pretty acurate, especially when it comes to engine characteristics. If something is bad with a bike or product they will say it. I can't remember any negative reviews from transworld ever.

I remember I had a 2003 ktm 125sx. All the mags said the motor was great and fast. MXA was the only one who would actually tell you that the powerband was about as wide as a toothpick. It hit hard and immediatly fell on its face, just like they said it would.

I don't think the 450 needs a five speed. I find it funny how many guys think they need a 5th gear, but arn't even approaching the rev limiter in 4th. If you don't go as fast in 4th gear as your bike will take you, why do you need another gear? No track I ride has a section that is that fast anyway.

But anyway, I do like MXA, I have never found their reviews too inaccurate.

most of mxa's test riders are pro level riders just not top 10 or even top 20 material.even most racerx test riders didnt complain about the cornering or suspension of the bike.they do rave of the over rev of the 4 speed also.keep in mind that the test is done by pro level,factory backed,and former world and motocross champion riders not wannabes. note the shootout winner! http://www.racerxill.com/articles/detail/283/racer-x-tested-2006-450f-shootout.aspx

most of mxa's test riders are pro level riders just not top 10 or even top 20 material.even most racerx test riders didnt complain about the cornering or suspension of the bike.they do rave of the over rev of the 4 speed also.keep in mind that the test is done by pro level,factory backed,and former world and motocross champion riders not wannabes. note the shootout winner! http://www.racerxill.com/articles/detail/283/racer-x-tested-2006-450f-shootout.aspx
That's why I don't put alot of stock in what any of them say. The bike a Pro likes is nowhere near the same bike that myself, a 44 year old who needs to go to work tomorrow, likes.

Fact is, all of them are good, better than 99% of us are capable to using. Pick a color that your comfortable with and get good dealer support and go have fun. I could care less if that choice finishes 1st or last on a Pro's choice of bikes.

the thread was started saying kawasaki changes were due to mxa suggestions.seems mxa thinks factories go by their word.i dont believe thats the case.all im saying is i think they go by race team changes as well as their own r and d,not magazines.i do like some of the tech articles of magazines but i wouldnt buy a bike based on their reviews.if their going to change a bike based on mag reviews dont u think they would pick a mag with more prominent test riders? :thumbsup:

OMG,

It was embarrassing reading their review of the YZ450 this year. All that crap about "...every once in a while you are in the right place and time to experience something special....yada yada". Acting like the YZ450 was a second coming.

And yet Dr. D makes of-sets to fix some front end issues? what? how can that be? We are talking Dubach (Yamaha R&D Dubach), so it's not like you can say he does not know what he's talking about.

This is why I, and many others, feel that rag is biased.

They need to sweep the management and writing out, and revitalize! They have a decent format, it just suffers lesser talent.

just my .02

Seems like alot of you don't think very highly of MXA, probably because of how they rated the Kawasaki 450 this year, but why did Kawasaki make changes to the 07 that address the exact same issues that MXA had with the 06 model???? Wonder if the R&D dept at Kawasaki read MXA?

I wonder if your actually serious or just trying to start some *#it. Reading MXA is like reading the Star at the grocery checkout stand. It has been a bottom dweller mag for a looooong time. The R&D people do not waste their time trying to make MXA happy. It is just a poorly done mag for the exact reasons the folks above me have written. If you have been in the moto scene for at least the last 10 years you would know this. Kawi put the 5sp in to sell to a broader field of riders. (not the moto guys), Dialed suspension, (what brand doesn't change settings ?) added hard coating to fork legs, and some minor other things. Lots of information out there. Broaden your knowledge base or you'll be quoting MXA and sounding like a fool.:thumbsup:

It was embarrassing reading their review of the YZ450 this year. All that crap about "...every once in a while you are in the right place and time to experience something special....yada yada". Acting like the YZ450 was a second coming.
The thing that I found interesting in that test was how they praised the YZ450F for such good handling, and then two pages later they state that it isn't very willing to turn. Well, which is it? Either it turns or it doesn't. If it won't turn, how can they claim that it's such a good handling bike? You can't have it both ways.

My $.02 (for what it's worth) on the new YZ450F that I rode a couple of weeks ago. It's a sweet bike, with an awesome, friendly engine, the best stock suspension that I've ever experienced, and a chassis that does everything exceptionally well, including turning. When it's time to replace my KX250, I think a YZ450F will be sitting in my garage. I couldn't care less what MXA said about the bike. I rode it, and I liked it. And that's what counts. :thumbsup: