What bike is perfect for dual sport and street legal?

IF I was looking for a street legal dual sport, where should I start??

ME--- intermediate MX'er who loves singletrack and a lighter weight bike..

Could I take a Enduro/non MX bike and make it street legal??

Depending on the laws in your state you may be able to plate a mx/enduro bike for street use. If not some of the new Husky's that are comming out will be street legal. If those aren't an option I would then say a DRZ would be the next choice.

The '07 KTM EXC's come immediately to mind. If you don't know the laws regarding street licensing a dirt bike in your state, perhaps a local bike dealer can help. In my state, once a dirt bike is already issued an ORV tag, it's dang near impossible to later get it plated.

I was able to get a plate for my brand new '05 KTM without a hassle, sight unseen, at the county auditor. My friend was able to do the same for his 525 SX at his dealer. However, both bikes were new and came with Certificates of Origin, without the words "For Off-Road Use Only" printed on them. Jap bikes aren't so lucky. I did install a Baja Designs dual sport kit, dot tires, etc, but only because I was expecting to need to pass an inspection. Never needed to.

Husky's are 100% legal for 06,,, KTM should have a 450 & 525 legal for 07, as for using an MX or Enduro & plating it,, depends on your state laws, go to a dealer for the brand you have in mind, & ask them,, they will know for sure what it takes & what is allowed

Gotta ask yourself a few questions first:

Where do I ride? 10% street/90% Dirt? 90%Dirt/10% Street

Motocross or trails?

What do my riding buddies have? 250 2 stroke mx? BMW? Dual Sports?

What do I have to Spend? $5000, $7500?

Do I want to ride or wrench?

What does the closest dealer sell?

Based on my answers, 10% dirt/90% Street, Trails, Duals and 450 4 strokes, $5000, Ride, Suzuki, Yamaha, BMW.

And the fact that the dealer had a Brand Spanking NEW DRZ S from last year marked down to $4400, I went with the DRZ S model.

I have done some minor mods and will do the 3x3 and rejet soon for more power. Plenty of bike for my needs and cheap parts/mods. Need knobbies for real offroad stuff. With what I saved I can do all the mods i want.

If you want a real dirt bike to ride on the street, a DRZ K model or a WR 450 Yamaha, would be a great choice to convert depending on your state.

If you want to supetmotto the DRZ SM is for you, Still needs Jetting & pipe to be hot.

Check the other threads like DRZ 400 vs KLR 650 and Which bike etc....