Sign in to follow this  

Bottom Line on Wheels for Motard

OK. I bought a 2003 DR650. It had been lowered correctly by the previous owner. They also put Excel wheels on it. The rear is a 3.5x17 and the front is 2.4x19. I want 17s on the front and rear with 3.5 on the front and 4.5 on the rear. From my research EastCoast Wheels are the best deal at $675 with my wheels donated. Is there another cheaper option using the stock hubs? Is there somewhere that will swap my rear rim to the front hub and a place to buy a rear rim and spokes?

I went with Arron at wheelwright. It was over a hundred dollars cheaper than the other guys and he delivered on time. The bike is so much more fun now. Good luck

try buchanon wheel and hub. they make sun rims that i had laced to my dr650 hubs

Swapping the rear rim to the front seems like a great idea and a way to save some money in the process. Has anyone done this and if so what spokes did you use? Can the rear rim be replaced with an Excel 4.25 and use the stock rear spokes?

Thanks

Your rims would be perfect as is for someone wanting to convert to an Adventurer\Tourer. Trade yours for stock wheels and a few hundred dollars then have the stock wheels Motarded.

I had my stock hubs re-laced to some rims. I paid about £100 for the rims and then had my local bike shop lace them to my hubs. I paid about £40 for the spokes and labour. It's in 'My Garage'.

While I wish East Coast all the best their track record lately has not been a good one. You may want to do a search on East Coast over at supermotojunkie.com for some serious "issues" on delivery and order handling.

I did read about them. I ended up sending them my wheels and a set of D208 tires. I will see what happens. I am not in a time sensitive area so it should work since they seem to do good work for cheap and just take their time. Cannot beat the 208 deals right now $130 for a set of tires shipped!

On another note I saw a listing about fork braces for the DR that have fork guards that attach to them. Anyone know where those can be purchased?

UPDATE: All of the postings about East Coast Wheels were correct. Currently they are not answering the phones or returning messages for the last few days. The wheels are 3 weeks past when I was told they would be delivered. They of course charged me a long time ago. I am pretty sure that I will eventually get them, but it is a bit frustrating.

Mainly, I am OK with along lead time. I am not OK when I am told a specific time and then am strung along. Just tell me it takes a month and I can wait a month!

I am interested in the exact setup you have. I have two sets of wheels, one with the Trailwings that has about 1400 miles and another with knobbies that has about 1100 miles on it. I'd be willing to trade my stock wheels with the Trailwings + some $$ for your setup. The wheels are in absolutely perfect condition.

Please email me at ouellette AT snet DOT net if you are interested.

Thanks,

Mike O.

Mike

I am not sure what you are asking? I am having my rims relaced to supermoto rims at East Coast Wheels. They are taking a really long time to do the work and ship them back. I am not interested getting rid of them I am just interested in getting them! I will be selling my 19" excel front and 17" excel rear rims that used to be on the bike. I is that what you wanted?

OK. So I can now make a final statement having been through an entire saga with East Coast Wheels.

Bottom line is that they do have a good price and if you are willing to wait a really long time you will get a good set of wheels.

Has anyone put a 160 rear on the 17" wheels and had a slight rub on the right side of the tire against the swingarm? It is not a huge rub but is slight. I have a lot of clearance on the left from the chain.