Sign in to follow this  

40 hour teardown

valves...perfect..

piston....perfect...

wrist pin....perfect...

rod..perfect...

everything looked brand new...

put a new piston in...just cuz it was apart..

oil...Castrol R-4

valves...perfect..

piston....perfect...

wrist pin....perfect...

rod..perfect...

everything looked brand new...

put a new piston in...just cuz it was apart..

oil...Castrol R-4

so, no wear marks what-so-ever on the wrist pin?

To be on the safe side I hope you replaced you wrist pin, cheap insurance!!

yes....there were 2 "burn" marks on the wrist pin...but no grooves or anything that would worry me...

yes..i put a new piston(Wiesco) with new pin and rings and gaskets...

i measured the clearance of the new piston...and..the stock piston that came out was slightly tighter....

the last 4 of the vin # is 5651

so if the last 4 digits of the vin # are higher, does that mean you have a better chance of there not being a problem from the factory, mine is 9671, i have not gotten to tear my bike down and look at it yet, so i have been kind of sceered.

i think this should ease your worries a little...i was worried after hearing about wrist-pin failures...after looking at the parts i removed...i am sure i could have gone another 40 hours with-out any problems...

i change my oil every 2 rides...oil filter every 3rd oil change...

and my air filter after each and every ride

well i definatly havent undermaintained the bike, my oil has been changed EVERY ride along with the oil filter, my air filter is cleaned every ride, and the oil scavange screen is cleaned every other oil change, so as long there isnt anything wrong with the parts i should be good......i hope......i think i will still put a new top end in it just to be safe.

you guys have to much time and money haha, changing the oil everyother time you ride and changing it everytime you ride is a bit overboard but hey whatever floats your boat, thats like changing the oil in your car every 100 miles. haha i wish i had your money i would skip a few oil changes and buy some cool shit for it.

you guys have to much time and money haha, changing the oil everyother time you ride and changing it everytime you ride is a bit overboard but hey whatever floats your boat, thats like changing the oil in your car every 100 miles. haha i wish i had your money i would skip a few oil changes and buy some cool shit for it.

If you drove your car as hard as you ride your bike you would change the oil every 100 miles. 1 Qt of oil to cool and protect an engine at 10K RPM is going to break down and need changed every 1-2 rides. My drag car takes 8 qts. and is changed every 30 1/4 mile passes, that means i changes 8 qts every 7.5 miles. So if your going to skip some oil changes to buy some COOL shit... that cool shit better be a new engine.